Turtle Eggs, Different Pics

turtleguy

Tutleguy did send me a thumbdrive with the CT images, and we chatted on the phone. I saw nothing on there that convinced me there was a turtle in his eggs. I have not heard from him since... and neither has the Forum.

JP, do you consider those things "eggs"?

Not at all.

I didn't think so, but I wouldn't want anyone incorrectly claiming you did.... ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Darn it, this is the worst movie I ever saw! Where's the ending? The twist to the plot? Arg. I hope there's a sequel.

Darn it, this is the worst movie I ever saw! Where's the ending? The twist to the plot? Arg. I hope there's a sequel.

Isn't that the TRUTH!!! ;)

..I hope there's a sequel.

This is inevitable.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i still say sacrifice one to the saw or hammer <curtains>

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

i still say sacrifice one to the saw or hammer <curtains>

I agree, I would have done that but sometimes I'm a little destructive lol

• 3 months later...

Hi forum,

Haven't had anything new. Jpc. I wonder if you've heard of the stone company, they say scans don't work,

as I said to you before I sent it. Acid is the way to go. I peeled back a little of the egg shell and started dissolving the calcite with a 30% solution of hydrochloric. Almost immediately bone looking peices of what is probobly broken carapace. After quite a lot had been exposed in that spot I stopped as the acid degrades the bone even tho I saturate the rock in water quite often the bone seems to soften. I'm. Now looking into getting it prepped. Oh by the way keep standing tall auspex, someone is always looking for a strawman.

Turtleguy;)

Hi forum,

Haven't had anything new. Jpc. I wonder if you've heard of the stone company, they say scans don't work,

as I said to you before I sent it. Acid is the way to go. I peeled back a little of the egg shell and started dissolving the calcite with a 30% solution of hydrochloric. Almost immediately bone looking peices of what is probobly broken carapace. After quite a lot had been exposed in that spot I stopped as the acid degrades the bone even tho I saturate the rock in water quite often the bone seems to soften. I'm. Now looking into getting it prepped. Oh by the way keep standing tall auspex, someone is always looking for a strawman.

Turtleguy;)

Kurt,

It's a shame that you just stopped by after all these months with more unsubstantiated claims; then, you take swipe at Auspex as you leave.... But, I suppose that was inevitable, since you seem to have been more interested in trying to prove others wrong than back up your assertion (with evidence) that you found fossil "turtle eggs" in the Red River valley between Texas and Oklahoma.

:shake head:

I peeled back a little of the egg shell and started dissolving the calcite with a 30% solution of hydrochloric. Almost immediately bone looking peices of what is probobly broken carapace. After quite a lot had been exposed in that spot I stopped as the acid degrades the bone even tho I saturate the rock in water quite often the bone seems to soften. I'm. Now looking into getting it prepped.

Can you post some pictures of the bone looking pieces? Now? after prep?

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Hi forum,

Turtleguy;)

Please post shots of the exposed bones and carapace. Your proof would be in the pictures. This subject has gone on way too long without you providing conclusive evidence to your claims.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png

Your shots should be of specimens, not at Auspex.

After your last post Turtleguy I've lost all interest in this thread.

Jim

Read in that gravely Movie announcer voice

In a world where scientist expect proof of exceptional claims, one man stands alone with his burning desire to prove others wrong..... "Turtle eggs Two- Hard-boiled minds"

(The sequel is never as good as the original, don't expect this to go 6 pages this time.)

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

my suggestion - humbly learn from the experience of others in the know; onward and upward.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Turtleguy,

You have said that you are not looking for an ID because you already know with certainty what they are. Fair enough.

The membership has challenged your assertions (citing the reasons), and at the same time several have gone out of their way to suggest (and analyze) tests by which you can gather supporting evidence. Still, you insist that we are all wrong. Fair enough.

What is not fair enough is your propensity to deflect these challenges by accusing 'hard-to-work-with paleolithic guys' of being closed-minded, and 'held back by constraints' (requiring proof to support extraordinary claims is what separates scientific inquiry from Ripley's Believe It Or Not, by the way). Your comment that "It's almost as if this discovery means less to professionals because it was found by an amature [sic]" is needlessly anti-elitist, and flogging that straw man is but another distraction from the facts (or lack thereof).

If you hope to convince the nay-sayers, you will need more than your convictions; you will need clear proof, clearly presented.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Truth hurts sometimes and there are some people that are just looking for a fight.

Sad I tell u!

I was looking forward in seeing some baby turtles.

:(

Yeah, science almost always has bad news for the dreamer.

There are true fossil turtle eggs. There was a National Geographic article maybe 15-20 years ago about a find in China and I think it had at least one good close-up photo.

Truth hurts sometimes and there are some people that are just looking for a fight.
Sad I tell u!
I was looking forward in seeing some baby turtles.
:(

Hey Kurt-

Welcome back... sorta. I thought this issue was done and gone.

Yes I know the Stone Company. I just visited them a few days ago. I'm not sure what you mean by he says scans don't work. The scans you sent me worked just fine. They were able to distinguish different densities in your nodules. The problem, as you see it, is that the different densities show NO turtle eggs or bone material. Dude, you got to trust me on this one... without bragging too much... I do know fossils and I work with CT scans a lot. The photos look like your "eggshell" are indeed calcitic... they will disappear in HCl.

Send me a piece of this material and I'll have a look. And even show it to our geology staff.

• I found this Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is still paying attention, turtleguy Kurt just stopped in with his turtle eggs. We visited for over three hours. We looked at them under microscopes. I took him and the eggs down to our X-ray teaching dept and they took a bunch of x-rays. His eggs are not eggs and they have no turtles in them. (Surprise?!) They are odd concretions with a siliceous outer edge that mimics eggshell in surface texture, but not in cross section. There is no eggshell structure in there. The silica also fills some cracks in the rocks. Most cracks in the rocks seem to be filled with quartz and calcite. Both of these showed up well in some x-rays, but there was no turtle shape to any of them. What he is seeing as bones, has no bone texture, and minimal bone shape. Interestingly enough one of them is crushed and the "shell" has collapsed the same way fossil eggs sometimes collapse around the edges.

We had a nice chat and he makes some good points, but they are not eggs. We agreed to disagree.

• I found this Informative 5

... We agreed to disagree.

After all that? I guess I'm not too surprised, though.

If anyone is still paying attention, turtleguy Kurt just stopped in with his turtle eggs. We visited for over three hours. We looked at them under microscopes. I took him and the eggs down to our X-ray teaching dept and they took a bunch of x-rays. His eggs are not eggs and they have no turtles in them. (Surprise?!) They are odd concretions with a siliceous outer edge that mimics eggshell in surface texture, but not in cross section. There is no eggshell structure in there. The silica also fills some cracks in the rocks. Most cracks in the rocks seem to be filled with quartz and calcite. Both of these showed up well in some x-rays, but there was no turtle shape to any of them. What he is seeing as bones, has no bone texture, and minimal bone shape. Interestingly enough one of them is crushed and the "shell" has collapsed the same way fossil eggs sometimes collapse around the edges.

We had a nice chat and he makes some good points, but they are not eggs. We agreed to disagree.

JP, thank you for letting us know your "in hand" observations and conclusions.

Hi,

Bravo JP ! You made all that it was necessary to demonstrate of what we thought. 6 pages and your professional's investigation was needed to convince him finally that his eggs are not eggs. He finally managed to believe in you, and there, bravo !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

...He finally managed to believe in you, and there, bravo !

Sadly, it seems that turtleguy still disagrees :shake head:

Ah yes Chas ! :blush:"We agreed to disagree"... I read too fast ! :blush:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg