Calvert Cliffs Weekend In Balmy Winter

cowsharks

Maryland doesn't usually get much snow in the Winter, but 50 to 60 degree temperatures in mid January just doesn't seem right. I would actually prefer freezing cold weather so more cliffs slough off. While I was at the beach, twice this weekend, the mid-day temps warmed up so much that with the Sun hitting the cliff face, there was this constant trickling of small pieces of dirt coming down everywhere. I walked the beach in both directions and found 5 tiny shark teeth under 1/2" - yipee. So, back to the grind of sifting; I sifted for about 4 hours each day Fri & Sat. Day one netted me more teeth because the tide was lower and I could see more beach to sift; day two (Sat) netted me very few teeth because the low tide was actually very high, covering most of the beach. Overall I am quite pleased because I found 3 more cowshark teeth, a decent but chipped Meg/Chub, some nice hemi's, and some other nice odds & ends. Got home in time to work on my honey-do list (hang new curtains - yipee) and earn some more brownie points for next time.

Daryl.

post-2077-0-88701800-1358734829_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-04705500-1358734832_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-26224700-1358734834_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-96708600-1358734835_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-84127300-1358734876_thumb.jpg

Thanks folks. Yep, can't complain when I can add a few more nice specimens to my collection - especially cowshark teeth; never can have too many of those :). And although I have over 10,000 tiger shark teeth, I still enjoy finding rally nice specimens of both "Aduncus" and "Contortus". Had I not found the cowshark teeth, my trip(s) would have been made by the few really nice Hemi's; the larger one has a reddish color (I think) and others are the real nice deep black&blue.

Like the rest of you folks, when we post pics, we usually only include the nice/perfect specimens in the pics. I don't want to give anyone the impression that I don't find broken/junk as well. If I remember to tonight, I'll post a pic of the broken/junk back here to show you not everything I find looks this good.

Great finds Daryl. I am really looking forward to hitting those beaches there soon.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

You're killing me, Daryl. I've been out of town for the past 2 weekends - not even any surface scanning for me. (although there are quite a few fossils walking around the streets of Vegas, they aren't the kind I look for)

Guess I may have to break out the screen and do some digging soon

Nice cows, btw

Really nice haul! Love those cowshark teeth!

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

You make it look easy. :)

Thanks, but my back would disagree :) , along with many folks that walk passed me and usually comment "that looks like too much work!". It's funny how even though I have tens of thousands of shark teeth, that I just never can seem to get enough of them. It's not a greed thing, I just really enjoy finding them - like treasure hunting. I never know what that next screen is going to have in it, so it keeps me going, like Timex - just keep on ticking.

Daryl.

Thanks, but my back would disagree :) , along with many folks that walk passed me and usually comment "that looks like too much work!". It's funny how even though I have tens of thousands of shark teeth, that I just never can seem to get enough of them. It's not a greed thing, I just really enjoy finding them - like treasure hunting. I never know what that next screen is going to have in it, so it keeps me going, like Timex - just keep on ticking.

Daryl.

Agree 100%

Just saying that if it was me out there, I'd be thrilled to find one good tooth. But then I would be a noob with that kind of deposit. :)

Context is critical.

Just saying that if it was me out there, I'd be thrilled to find one good tooth....

Missourian, sorta funny you should say that, because I said that very same thing 17 years ago before I actually went on my first hunt at Calvert Cliffs. Just a couple days before my two friends were going to take me down to Calvert Cliffs, one of them brought in a book ("Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region" by Bretton Kent) to show me what type of teeth we might find when we go collecting. I distinctly remember looking through the pages at the drawings of the teeth and saying something like, "I'll be happy if I'm able to have at least one specimen of each of these various teeth" someday. Up until this hobby, the closest thing to a hobby was a rather small coin collection I had when I was 10 yrs old; all coins given to me, and they fit in an old cigar box. I didn't have the proper resources as a kid to expand my collection beyond what was given to me by friends and relatives. But with this fossil hobby, heck, it doesn't take many resources (car, gas, time, etc) and the sky is the limit. So, tens or hundreds of thousands of teeth later, I'm still slinging dirt and gravel in my screen looking for that "one good tooth" :).

Daryl.

So, tens or hundreds of thousands of teeth later, I'm still slinging dirt and gravel in my screen looking for that "one good tooth" :).

Yes, collecting hundreds and thousands of something is the way to find the excellent and the rare.

Context is critical.