Miscellaneous Fossils For Show & Tell

cowsharks

Some pics of some nice fossilss on display/sale at today's MGS club meeting. One of the neatest things about our club meetings is seeing all the rare and unusual fossils that folks bring in for sale, or show-and-tell. I like to take pics, especially of stuff I've never seen before. For example, one of the pics is of a Mola jaw/plate (?). I had never seen one this large before. Also, the small mostly complete turtle - from the same area where folks find the Oreodont skulls I believe. Some neat stuff. Just thought I post to share with others to enjoy as well.

Daryl.

post-2077-0-76143100-1358738125_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-01467600-1358738128_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-61432300-1358738141_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-02955600-1358738143_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-75286200-1358738144_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-37094600-1358738146_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-97349500-1358738147_thumb.jpg

Whoa! Is that an asking price of almost 500 frog skins on the Stylemys? If so, I'm going to move the one I prepped years ago to a higher shelf in the display case and dust it more often!.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Turtles themselves are quite common in the badlands, but, the tiny stelemys weather quite rapidly so are much more difficult to find in a useable condition.

Woh ! Very nice fossils ! Is Scutella broken or is it its normal form ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Turtles themselves are quite common in the badlands, but, the tiny stelemys weather quite rapidly so are much more difficult to find in a useable condition.

I had the idea that small badlands turtles were "rarer," but I had never heard an explanation. One could infer that they were especially hardy animals, who always lived to a ripe old age; but it would seem your scenario is much more likely. Thanks, I will not rush to put mine on eBay.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Woh ! Very nice fossils ! Is Scutella broken or is it its normal form ?

Coco

Coco, it is not broken - this is the normal shape. It is very rare to find a complete sand dollar like this. I think it was being offered for $100. Not sure if it got sold by the dealer or not. I know the dealer and he plans on taking a lot of this stuff to the show in Tucson in a couple weeks.

Daryl.

Whoa! Is that an asking price of almost 500 frog skins on the Stylemys? If so, I'm going to move the one I prepped years ago to a higher shelf in the display case and dust it more often!.

That was my reaction when I flipped it over. The owner/dealer said that the smaller turtles, especially complete ones like this, were very rare. Matter of fact, although you can't see it in the photo's, there are some small leg bones exposed on the bottom side, and he suspects the skull is still inside the shell.

Daryl.

All very good.. I like the ophiuroid plate, what was the price on that if you recall and if it was for sale? And what is that thing in the pic to the right of it?

Edited by Wrangellian

Hi,

Coco, it is not broken - this is the normal shape. It is very rare to find a complete sand dollar like this. I think it was being offered for $100. Not sure if it got sold by the dealer or not. I know the dealer and he plans on taking a lot of this stuff to the show in Tucson in a couple weeks.

Daryl.

Thanks Daryl for the information. I never seen a sea urchin like this one !

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Coco, don't know if that's an old or new generic name but try googling Abertella aberti. A new species was described recently from Florida. Aberti is fairly common in some areas of Maryland.

Don

All very good.. I like the ophiuroid plate, what was the price on that if you recall and if it was for sale? And what is that thing in the pic to the right of it?

Wrangelian, the brittle star plate was for sale, but I did not flip it over to see the price. I'll PM you so you can contact the owner if you like.

The image to the right of the brittle star plate is a primitive shark tooth in shale - sorry, I don't remember which shark. The owner actually had an associated set of these teeth. This particular tooth position, the symphyseal, apparently is very rare from this shark.

Daryl.

Thanks for Sharing! I've never been to a fossil show! I don't think we have them in Minnesota or Iowa, do we?

Bev :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Coco, don't know if that's an old or new generic name but try googling Abertella aberti. A new species was described recently from Florida. Aberti is fairly common in some areas of Maryland.

Don

Plax, I think you are right with A. aberti. Here is the very good Andrew B. Smith's website, and I think names are good : http://www.nhm.ac.uk...men.jsp?id=2232

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

thanks for the link Coco

Abertella were like pavement across from Broomes Island Maryland on the Patuxent River in the early 70s. All the cliffs have houses on them now I suppose.

Hi,

:doh!: k_crying.giftriste-crise.gif

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

thanks for the link Coco

Abertella were like pavement across from Broomes Island Maryland on the Patuxent River in the early 70s. All the cliffs have houses on them now I suppose.

I learned this past weekend at the same meeting that a really awesome site on the Patuxent River, MD is now covered up with rip-wrap (sp?). There's a militart base nearby and houses as well. Another site bites the dust.