A Trip To The Aurora Fossil Museum

zachj

I didnt find much today but why not share my finds with you guys, right? I arrived around 12 and it was sunny, warm, and overall pretty nice. The piles were EXTREMELY muddy and it was hard to find stuff. Then forum member Brian aka fossilz met me down there.I He had an awesome idea where he screened into a tub with water. He was kind enough to let me use it so they finds were easier to see. The tub filled with mud pretty fast and we had to refill it with mud puddle water near by haha. I also met John hamilton down there aswell and he showed me and brain his awesome cow shark tooth. I didnt find much today but i did find a decent mako and a lower hemi. I brought home 8 or 9 buckets so i still have alot of work to do to process the material. Maybe ill find a cow shark in the bucket or something.

post-7255-0-10499400-1358816713_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-02294900-1358816717_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-35280500-1358816721_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-62044700-1358816725_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-80822200-1358816729_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-73086300-1358816734_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-80904600-1358816738_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-06464900-1358816743_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-60130400-1358816747_thumb.jpg

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

Zach, sounds like you had fun on your day off from school. The pro's of being first on those piles is that you might find some nice stuff; but the con's are that it isn't weathered and even digging through it is nasty - it's all clumpy and everything. Wouldn't it be awesome if you could stand back with a garden hose and periodically wash it down; or fill your tub with clean water? I'm sure you'll have some nice finds in those buckets!

Daryl.

You are so lucky! I have never been to Aurora. You have some nice finds there Zach and those buckets are going to be fun goinf through! Thanks for sharing.

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Zach, sounds like you had fun on your day off from school. The pro's of being first on those piles is that you might find some nice stuff; but the con's are that it isn't weathered and even digging through it is nasty - it's all clumpy and everything. Wouldn't it be awesome if you could stand back with a garden hose and periodically wash it down; or fill your tub with clean water? I'm sure you'll have some nice finds in those buckets!

Daryl.

you're right, Its so clumpy!!! then when you wash it down its muds up your water. I would love to have a hose to spray it down, infact there is a hose right beside the piles to, to bad its locked :(

You are so lucky! I have never been to Aurora. You have some nice finds there Zach and those buckets are going to be fun goinf through! Thanks for sharing.

if you go, be sure to bring a water source to screen in, the piles are REALLY muddy. Edited by zachj

Hey Zach, Im a little courious, how are you going to process that material? Do you have a screening system? If you need any ideas, I know a few reject material "pro's" who I'm sure will give you all sorts of ideas.

As for me, I suggest goign through "A LITTLE AT A TIME". If you try going through a lot, or too fast, its really easy to overlook some fantastic smaller finds! Good luck!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

I think what im going to do is have a storage tub under my 1/4 inch screen and all the stuff that doesnt stay in the screen go's into the tub. Im going to use a hose to wash down the material so im going to poke some holes near the middle of the tub so the water will not over flow in the box. From there i will drain the water from the tub and use a kitchen strainer and wash the material in the tub with that. After that i will bag the strainer material and search that stuff on a desk.

The trip to Aurora was a fun one! I got to meet Zach and John Hamilton. Zach had a killer mako and I scored a bunch of Hemi's. The water idea helped tremendously and I recommend it to anyone who is going. I will be posting a trip report very soon!

Edited by Fossilz

I think what im going to do is have a storage tub under my 1/4 inch screen and all the stuff that doesnt stay in the screen go's into the tub. Im going to use a hose to wash down the material so im going to poke some holes near the middle of the tub so the water will not over flow in the box. From there i will drain the water from the tub and use a kitchen strainer and wash the material in the tub with that. After that i will bag the strainer material and search that stuff on a desk.

Yeah sounds like what I do. Make sure you let the micro material at the bottom of the bucket dry. MOST important step ever. Just lay it out on some long paper or on the mesh out in the sun. I use a bunch of garden mesh and let it sit out in the sun for about a day before bagging it.

Fantastic Zach! Mud is part of the fun! If ya don't leave there dirty it wasn't a good day. LOL! Love your he is! Keep us posted on your extras!! And I have to say putting faces with the names is always awesome!! :)

Edited by Joyce

I use a large 1/4" screen sitting on a wheelbarrow that catches the fall through. Wash it in the screen with a hose. It goes fast and I then scoop out the fall through and wash it in a fine strainer and keep some for micro collecting later after it dries.

Good luck on processing the buckets you took home. The biggest headache of processing for me is waiting for it to dry. I have been know to use a cookie sheet and the oven to help speed the process up but your Mom might have issues with that.

Edited by John Hamilton

I went through 4 of my buckets today and i have alot to say. One bucket nearly gave me all my teeth. I forgot what pile i got it from but i gave me some nice hemis and so weird stuff. I had alot more productive day then just screening at the pit of the pungo. nearly all my buckets had aton of shark verts, they were broken but i did pick up 3 decent ones. Anyway here are all my finds from some buckets, havent been through the micro stuff though.

post-7255-0-84757800-1359237697_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-59366900-1359237702_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-67977700-1359237706_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-99960400-1359237710_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-07322800-1359237715_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-05646900-1359237719_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-55044600-1359237723_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-10346500-1359237728_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-79462200-1359237732_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-79243700-1359237736_thumb.jpg

Good luck on processing the buckets you took home. The biggest headache of processing for me is waiting for it to dry. I have been know to use a cookie sheet and the oven to help speed the process up but your Mom might have issues with that.

and the cookie sheet in the oven helps!

Wow! Whatta haul. Got some nice things there. I cant believe you didnt pull out one meg in that big lot. Maybe next time. :)

Great haul!

I also hobby gold pan and I've found gold pan panning classifiers work perfect. 1/8 inch would be the smallest you'd need I suspect. Another method and costing only $1 would be to grab a frying pan splash guard screen. Typically the steel mesh is around 1/8" and this also works great!

if you go, be sure to bring a water source to screen in, the piles are REALLY muddy.

I hope to get there sometime. I will probably be going to the fossil festival this year. I am already counting down the time until then! :)

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".