Is This A Real Or Fake Raptor Claw?

SupraTT6s

• New Members

I needed more expert help since I have no training or experience in this area. This is listed as authentic but for the price, I wanted more advice!

D472CA69-5FA0-48CD-B951-C267B7C0AC51-3591-000002128D512ADA.jpg

A5BF70F5-89AE-4DEC-BBF1-A2C677217099-3591-0000021274D43879.jpg

82B058A9-D823-4AC4-8D6D-7AE2C2430854-3591-000002126AA27061.jpg

207CD3D2-39F3-429F-8702-B54684927C4E-3591-000002127BFAC286.jpg

6FE76804-74E6-49A7-A79B-E89DF53FB6C7-3591-0000021287705E3C.jpg

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Hmmm. I would do the hot needle test. Should not affect bone. Even if the mojority of this specimen is bone, there may be restored parts. Have you tried a UV light. I am sure some of the folks on the forum will have some great suggestions.

Just noticed this may not be in your possession yet. Just from the photos, looks pretty good to me.

Edited by DeloiVarden

• New Members

It's not in my possession so I'm hoping some fossil experts can chime in and help lead me in the right direction. I know site unseen is pretty difficult do I'm looking for a strong educated guess since I won't have to the physical possession until I buy it. Thank you again everyone!

It looks to my eye as if there have been substantial restorations to the piece. I think I can see areas that have been repaired with putty.

The tip of the claw looks like it may have been restored to me.

I agree, but I think that it extends along the top. The blu-tack should probably be a red flag.

Well, it's a composite specimen. The first two phalanges are from digit 2 of a dromaeosaur foot, but that's not a digit 2 claw. Frankly I'm not sure what claw it is, the shape is just not quite right for a dromaeosaur. The flexor tubercle at its base is pretty small and smooth/continuous with the bottom of the claw, the curvature is bizarre, and the claw is too wide (a dromaeosaur foot claw should taper more). If the claw is real, and not carved from some other bone, then it would have to be from something else, oviraptor, ornithomimid, etc, but I'm not finding a match with any of them.

When I say "dromaeosaur", I mean the whole group of small Deinonychus-like theropods (Saurornitholestes, Troodon, etc) not just Dromaeosaurus itself.

Also, if this fossil really is from Alberta, know that it is illegal to remove vertebrate fossils from Alberta, and it is also illegal to sell vertebrate fossils found in Alberta.

http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/research/fossils_law.htm

http://www.gprc.ab.ca/departments/sasu/palaeo/fossil-collecting.html

Sounds like this could be the poster child for why vertebrate collection is frowned upon. I can imagine a unique discovery just under the surface missing the sign of it's presence.