Mazon Creek Bivalve

Rockaholic

Just wondering if it was possible to have a more detailed identification of this bivalve. Also curious for those that have had more experience with Mazon Creek nodules if the first split is your only chance to find a fossil ? I have a few nodules that still have a lot of thickness remaining even after the first split. Also have one nodule where only part of a bivalve was exposed with the first split

post-6292-0-59916600-1359113043_thumb.jpg

There are often multiple fossils in a single nodule, especially plants. However, if you got a good quality fossil with the first split you risk destroying it my doing more freeze thaw. Your is likely a species of Edmondia. Nice find!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Your bivalve is an example of the recently described Mazonomya mazonensis Bailey, 2011. It was originally misidentified as Edmondia sp but was recently reexamined and found to be a type of Solemyid. This is the most common bivalve in the marine (Essex) portion of the Mazon Creek deposit. It is not unusual to find multiple specimens within a single concretion (see image). They are so abundant in one of the old strip mines tha collectors refer to the area as Chowder Flats.

Occasioanlly, you will also find examples with their "death trail" is preserved. This preservation documents the animals final attempt to escape its muddy tomb (see image).

post-1202-0-89650700-1359123253_thumb.jpg

post-1202-0-34905200-1359123527_thumb.jpg

Cool! Looks like I need to update my species list. Thanks!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I agree with AgrilusHunter - I have to do so too and I think many others from us also ...

Many thanks to RCFossils!

araucaria1959

Glad I read this post.. So there is no other clam from Mazon still called Edmondia as well as the new Mazonomya?

Glad I read this post.. So there is no other clam from Mazon still called Edmondia as well as the new Mazonomya?

Emondia ovata (Meek and Worthen, 1873) is also found there but it is much less common.

Great, how do I tell the difference?

I'd like to know this too!

-- Terry Pratchett

There are several types of Edmondia that have been described in the Mazon Creek deposit. Most of them are questionable and need a thorough review.

Edmondia ovata is the only type that is known from more then a few specimens. As the name suggests, the shell is more oval when compared to Mazonomya. Well preserved specimnens will have more distinctive growth lines.

Here a re a few examples.

post-1202-0-06455100-1359342308_thumb.jpg

post-1202-0-19830700-1359342346_thumb.jpg

Rockaholic...great thread...RC thanks for all the taxonomic details!...Chicago area temps looked almost liveable today!! 40's? Regards, Chris

Well that explains my confusion. While searching for an ID on the internet I found this bivalve described as both Edmondia and Mazonomya mazonensis and with my untrained eye they both looked alike to me. Thanks RC, can always count on you for an informative response to Mazon Creek fossil ID's. On a side note I found it amusing that a website that had one of these bivalves for sale described it as rare.

http://www.fossilsforsale.com/site_arc/index.cfm?action=item&prod_id=6571&

Edited by Rockaholic