Cretaceous Claw Id Help

jpc

This is a small claw (missing its tip) from the late Cretaceous Lance Fm of Wyoming... can anyone tell me what it might be from? I see no blood groove, so I am wondering if it might be a bird. It is about 3mm long.

post-1450-0-51910200-1359402321_thumb.jpg

post-1450-0-01013200-1359402348_thumb.jpg

Surface appearance leads me to think this is a crab claw-assuming you collected marine or freshwater paleo-environment.

Edited by mako-mama

The articulation surface occupies the entirety of the widest point of the core, there is no prominent protuberance for tendon attachment, and there is what appears to me to be the beginnings of a broad "blood groove" (second picture); none of these features alone are completely counter-indicative of its owner being a bird, but all taken together, I'd be looking at reptiles.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks, auspex, yeah the blood groove seems to almost be there, butinly on one side. Strange. ... RC, I think it is too curved for a turtle, but then I am not not sure how much variety there is in Cretaceous turtle claw curvature... mm... I'll see if I can get end-on shot of the end.