The Tale Of The Tully Monster

RCFossils

This topic is a veritable feast! This enigmatic icon is endlessly fascinating.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 1 month later...

a Tully I had set aside for too long, I have finished the sculpting and polishing, he will receive his eye bar shortly. the many illustrations and the PDF mentioned in this thread were especially useful for visualizing the carving and eye bar structure...

I would say I have chosen the more stylized drawings to base "him" on, most are more awkward looking, it is part of the attraction :)

He is done in a hard green soapstone with iron inclusions :)

post-4577-0-10190400-1364430069_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-56594700-1364430089_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-45866500-1364430106_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Cooooool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

thanks Chas and PRK :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Well done, my friend! Good job!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yes, well done, Carmine! I have worked in soapstone myself before and know it's tricky to carve such delicate shapes without it breaking!

thanks Tim, Eric :)

you know Eric, I cannot count the times I thought I would just give a squeeze and snap the neck, and get it over with, cause it was so unnerving to keep thinning it, but it never broke once, to my surprise :)

That's pretty lucky - or else you knew just how careful to be! - it looks by those natural fractures that it wouldn't have taken much.. No doubt someday in someone else's hands it will break anyway - I assume it could then be glued back together with no difficulty but better if it doesn't break at all.

thanks Roger and Scott :)

I'm loving all the new emoticons! Scott, did you make some of those?

Nice write up the Tully Monster is such an odd creature.... I found a poorly preserved claw, I'm still searching for a nice one.

a Tully I had set aside for too long, I have finished the sculpting and polishing, he will receive his eye bar shortly. the many illustrations and the PDF mentioned in this thread were especially useful for visualizing the carving and eye bar structure...

I would say I have chosen the more stylized drawings to base "him" on, most are more awkward looking, it is part of the attraction :)

That is super cool sculpture Carm!

That is super cool sculpture Carm!

thanks a lot Peter! :)

Great sculpture! can't wait to see the finished product

thanks RCF, I will have to take out my only (purchased) real example of tully, a head/eyebar and shoot it also :)

Edited by xonenine

Fossil of the month!!!!

:o:D :D :D

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Someone should make toothbrushes shaped like that. :)

Context is critical.

• 2 years later...

With the announcement of Tullimonstrum gregarium being placed as a chordate related to lampreys, I figured I would bump this post.

With the announcement of Tullimonstrum gregarium being placed as a chordate related to lampreys, I figured I would bump this post.

Excellent idea and post.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks, love the story. (The fossils are way cool also!!!)

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.