Peace River Florida

capebretonishome

Hi

would like to hear suggestions on who to take tour with while in florida during april to may1st 2013, would like to know what i would expect to find on the peace river.. This is my first time doing this and would like to have a wonderful time, there are 2 of us. any help would be great

Thanks for your time

Diane

Greetings From Cape Breton Island

Diane,

I only have experience with Mark Renz at Fossil Expeditions. I went with him in November and I'm going back for 2 more days 2 weeks from now. (The fact that I going back should say a lot about the first experience)

Mark is an outstanding guide with unmatched knowledge. What you'll find is a complete guess. It's like fishing - just because you didn't catch the big fish doesn't mean it's not there!

On my first trip, another couple found a decent meg and a couple of worn halves. I found: tapir tooth, 2 croc teeth, a couple of fish mouthpieces, a bunch of smaller shark teeth( lemon, tiger, bull, Hemi), a lot of Dugong ribs and bone material, some nice turtle shell pieces. You shouldn't plan on going anywhere and wading knee deep through huge Meg's. there are certainly meg teeth in the areas Mark will take you, but whether or not you'll find any is really up to chance. Being with Mark (or any other reputable guide) will certainly increase your odds, and I KNOW Mark will make your day a memorable one.

Joe

I'll second Mark. He took out about twenty from ScubaBoard and it was a hoot! He has a good eye and a great sense of humor. If you dive, you're not far from Venice Beach Fl and the "Boneyard".

Pete "NetDoc" Murray

Scuba Instructor/Trainer/Evaluator

NetDoc@ScubaBoard.com

I will third Mark Renz....I have gone on 5 trips in the past three years with Mark. He is very knowledgeable - but most importantly, he is very pleasant to be around.

My advice for the peace river is to not have expectations your first trip...it is somewhat of a game of luck.

Enjoy

I'm not saying a guide isn't useful and when it comes to Mark Renz I sure learned alot reading his books but you could find plenty on your own.I like the Peace but prefer any tributaries leading to it just because they seem to be hit less.The way I see it if I am willing to walk that extra mile thru thorns I'll find what those who aren't willing to won't.In any of the creeks just look for gravel,the bigger the better normally.It acts as a nautral sifter and the bigger fossils are often with them.Use a quarter inch mesh and make a 2x2 or so sifter.I put fun noodles on mine to help it float.dig and sift,pick,repeat.If you don' tfind a good bit in fifteen minutes move to the next bend.Hope this helps

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

There is something to be said about not having to bring sifting screens, shovels, and other paraphernalia with you on an airplane :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 weeks later...

you better believe that not bringing your own equipement is a big deal, you should see me at home tring to make a sreen little only down in florida lol, dont think the homeowner would like a hobby shop in the garage lol

Diane,

I just got back from 2 days with Mark - one on the Peace and one on a smaller stream. The thing i find interesting about the Peace is that, even though it certainly gets a lot of people digging for fossils, it always gives up a lot of fossils.

On the Peace, our group found the usual assortment of sharks teeth (nothing spectacular), 4 or 5 horse teeth, including one from a miniature horse, turtle shell/ material, bone frags, some nice dugong rib parts, ... Of note from the Peace - a nice Meg from a young shark, a great pufferfish mouthpart, a few Meg frags (1 tip, one other piece). I was happy with the finds.

On the creek, we found a lot of stuff. Horse teeth, lots of shark teeth, my first GW, bison tooth part, a whale tooth, lots of turtle, a small femur, biggest tiger shark tooth I've ever seen. Awesome day. But - hard digging.

I realize that not everyone has the money to spend on a guide. And, if I lived in the area, I'd certainly do a lot more "on my own" exploring. But with limited time, and the fact that you don't need to bring the gear, I will continue to go out with Mark everytime I'm in FLA.

Joe

I work the Peace River for fossils all the time. I try to do all the right things that I picked up as a novice from more experienced hunters. I have a kayak and paddle a couple of miles up/down stream from access points. I can "read" previous activities and choose preferable locations; I dig deeper than others can or are willing to attempt. Frequently I start in 2 feet of water and dig until my chest is almost covered. I may shovel gravel constantly for 4-5 hours and my back is screaming well before I stop for the day. Many fossil hunters are not this crazy.

I always get some fossils because the Peace has so many. Sometimes I get 10 or so good fossils and one great fossil in five trips -- Meg 2.75 or above, sloth claw/tooth, mastodon/mammoth tooth, etc, etc. Yesterday I went and doing all the same things, basically picked up nothing but small teeth -- it happens.

So Diane-- just how LUCKY are you? If you are really lucky and determined, you can walk in at the park in Wauchula, Brownsville, or Arcadia and find 2 plates of a Mammoth tooth, or a dire wolf tooth, maybe a couple of Megs. That also happens!!! If you can afford Mark Renz or Fred Mazza, that will improve your chances even of you are not so lucky.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I work the Peace River for fossils all the time. I try to do all the right things that I picked up as a novice from more experienced hunters. I have a kayak and paddle a couple of miles up/down stream from access points. I can "read" previous activities and choose preferable locations; I dig deeper than others can or are willing to attempt. Frequently I start in 2 feet of water and dig until my chest is almost covered. I may shovel gravel constantly for 4-5 hours and my back is screaming well before I stop for the day. Many fossil hunters are not this crazy.

Some of us are :D

thanks guys for all your answers so looking forward to this its unreal.

many thanks

hi I too am planning a trip top the states, looks like I may start in Florida, I have contacted Mark about his trips and I cant wait, I was thinking around April or may but I am told this peak season and I don't think I fancy it when its full of holiday makers (like me lol) so may go later or earlier?. may do 1 or 2 trips with mark then try on my own (unless any local hunters fancy hooking up to look for some teeth maybe show me how its really done! lol)

How do you know where you can look? is there private land you cant look on or can you wander up/down the river freely (with permit) a map showing where you are allowed to go would be great.

thinking a week in Florida looking around peace river and some time on the beaches the spend a week in Charleston then up to Washington so excited!!!

QQQQ I was thinking around April or may but I am told this peak season and I don't think I fancy it when its full of holiday makers (like me lol) so may go later or earlier?. QQQQ

The "season" ends by end of June most years because the rainy season comes and the water in the river is over your head by a lot. Most tourists and American snowbirds are gone by May. April may be best. Shoveling gravel for long periods is back breaking work. My ONLY cure is to dig in water that comes to my belly button and thus supports my back.. We are now in the dry season and the water levels are dropping.

QQQQ How do you know where you can look? is there private land you cant look on or can you wander up/down the river freely (with permit) QQQQ

Mark will teach you the method. Find gravel in river bed, use shovel to move gravel from river bed to sieve, look in the sieve for fossils. Ask Mark if you can borrow a sieve or I could get you in contact with a member of my fossil club who makes sieves for about $30.

Basically you can look in the River. I generally go by Wetfoot- Dryfoot: Wetfoot=legal, Dryfoot= trespassing and illegal. Exceptions are the parks at 1/2 of the acesss point (see MAP).

QQQQ a map showing where you are allowed to go would be great.

MAP of access points: http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide/designated_paddle/Peace_guide.pdf

You do not have a kayak/canoe so your trips may be close to the access points.

I leave you with the most important piece of advice. Dig DEEP into the gravel -- deeper than the previous fossil hunter who dug in this same spot.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Wow thanks shellseeker that's top info! :D love the dig deep tip so I guess even if your somewhere people go lots if your willing to dig deeper then them you maybe rewarded. also the wetfoot dryfoot so the rivers do pass over private land but in the U.S the river ways are public right of way.

If the rain comes in june when is the next time the water level drops enough to look? I would guess after the rain has been is when fresh finds can be made?

that map is great thanks! I can see why people use kayaks...to try to get to places people visit less often? but I guess these rivers have lots of places to look and people cant have covered every inch of it could they? i would guess if i go with my wife and little girl we would probably only walk a mile from an access point. can you sit on the river banks when you have a rest (is it likely anyone will tell you off?)

thanks very much, great info very helpful :D

after looking at some clips on youtube is it good to get a shovel with a big shovel head? i guess as you lift the shovel from the river bed to the surface you lose a lot of material ? also is a bigger screed better (give you more space for material). also is it best to find areas of gravel, or if your digging down is it not important?

In preparation for your trip, you might read the newsletters starting from February 2013 going backwards. http://www.fcolc.com/newsletters.html

love the dig deep tip so I guess even if your somewhere people go lots if your willing to dig deeper then them you maybe rewarded.

Yes, but depends on your physical capability. Fossil hunters did holes because it is easier and dig only the top 20 inches before they give up. I sometimes go to the deepest old holes I can find and dig deeper.

also the wetfoot dryfoot so the rivers do pass over private land but in the U.S the river ways are public right of way.

Correct -- Some land owners are SERIOUS -- NO Trepassing posted down to the rivers edge. Some are not and you can see the paths of previous hunters next to the river. You/I can also rest on a bank but if challenged, you need to respectively return to the river.

If the rain comes in june when is the next time the water level drops enough to look? I would guess after the rain has been is when fresh finds can be made?

I am fanatic and enter the river sometime before it is safe to do so. My first significant finds of the 2012-2013 season. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/33574-article-for-fcolc-newsletter/?hl=%2Bsloth+%2Bclaw

I can see why people use kayaks...to try to get to places people visit less often? >>>YES<<< but I guess these rivers have lots of places to look and people cant have covered every inch of it could they? >>>CORRECT<<< i would guess if i go with my wife and little girl we would probably only walk a mile from an access point.

A mile may be sufficient. Most people do not travel that far. The difficulties are deeper water, muck and tree branches, etc. The easiest places to river walk a mile are 1) Brownville either direction from boatramp; 2) Crews Park Wauchula either direction from boat ramp; 3) Arcadia downstream from RR Bridge, downstream from Route70 Bridge, downstream from Boatramp, 4) Griffin Bridge Wauchula downstream from access point.

These access points are some of the heaviest worked on the river.

after looking at some clips on youtube is it good to get a shovel with a big shovel head? i guess as you lift the shovel from the river bed to the surface you lose a lot of material ? also is a bigger screed better (give you more space for material). also is it best to find areas of gravel, or if your digging down is it not important?

capebretonishome -- apology for piggybacking on your thread, but thought you also might be interested.

Answers depends on the physical shape of the fossil hunter -- I have a standard 4 foot pointed blade shovel, a 5 foot flat shovel, and a heavier scoop bucket shovel. Bigger shovels have value but consider how much gravel your wife can lift for how long. Bigger shovels are heavier. The gravel does slip of the shovel head into the river, but if you followed my advice the gravel falls right back into the hole where your next scoop is coming.

I am addicted to bigger screens -- mine tend to be 48x40inch rectangles that can take 4-5 full shovel loads -- I bring 2 screens -- 1/4 and 1/2 inch mesh using the 1/2 inch when optimizing for larger fossils (losing the smaller ones) I am driven by efficiency over a 5-6 hour period. I do not think you are in the same mode.

You REALLY have to be an experienced Peace River hunter to find fossils where there is little or no gravel. Use a probe (or your shovel lacking a metal rod), find gravel, find fossils. It is relatively easy to find gravel in the Peace River, especially in dry season. -- you can see it on the river bottom. SS

Again thanks great advice, just what I want to hear. Thanks for the tips about places to walk, did not think some parts of the river may have steep banks and you may not be able to walk beyond them (unless you have a kayak) lots of info to take notes on think I will print the maps in the above link.

im only 5'6" but im a physical person and will be digging as a fossil hunter not a tourist, once I start fossiling im happy doing it until the sun sets and it gets too dark to carry on, if you want to be rewarded you got to put the work in!

So its 70 miles I see!!!! is the river cutting through the fossil layers the entire length of the river or just here and there?, what im trying to get at is are there fossils the length of the river or just in patches?

Would I be better off spending all of my week on the peace river rather than using a few days looking on the beaches like at venice beach?

And lastly what the water temp like in april? warm enough to swim or best off bringing some waders and keeping dry?

MASQUETOS? are they a problem?

Regards Adie

...once I start fossiling im happy doing it until the sun sets and it gets too dark to carry on, if you want to be rewarded you got to put the work in!...

Two words: head lamp. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You could also try Debra Powell of Fossilbabe's Excursions, in North Port, Florida.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

lol ok I will !!!! im going to eat, sleep and live in that river when I get there, that's if the gattors don't eat me first

ok Rich will look into that. The areas I was hoping to cover are getting smaller, im down to just peace river and some places around Charleston, not sure where that's still to be worked out maybe summervile? surface collecting? or maybe seeing as there is 70 mile to look at could use 2 weeks just on peace river (I will try to leave a few teeth for other people to find lol)

.....So its 70 miles I see!!!! is the river cutting through the fossil layers the entire length of the river or just here and there?, what im trying to get at is are there fossils the length of the river or just in patches?

I do not know why but there seems to be more gators, more muck above Fort Meade so fewer fossils. The 5-10 miles below Zolfo Springs is full of sand rather than gravel, and the same can be said for the River below Nocatee. If you look between Arcadia and Paines Creek Park, there are lots of gravel beds and lots of fossils. I tend to fossil in those 40 miles of River and I will not finish my initial survey for at least a decade.

Would I be better off spending all of my week on the peace river rather than using a few days looking on the beaches like at venice beach?

Depends on what you are after and how you search venice - Scuba? I think the Peace is better but I do not know Venice beaches.

And lastly what the water temp like in april? warm enough to swim or best off bringing some waders and keeping dry?

85-90 degrees Fahrenheit -- hot - the River is refreshing. Bring Sunscreen & a Rashguard.

MASQUETOS? are they a problem?

Yes, but less than you think if you are standing in the River. I am more concerned about Fire Ants.

I saw my first snake this week, but there are alligators in those areas that have few people. I think the locals kill them for food or whatever. There are isolated spots that have leeches.

not great about fire ants, leaches and crocs, starting to think maybe if my wife and 2 year old girl are going im going to have to stick close by access points where its safer, maybe i can sneak off for a few hours? or go peak season when more people are about..or leave the wife at home this time and take a mate?

thanks for the info i'm sure others will learn from it too. will keep ya posted with progress of my finds :) could be mid april, just off to check flight prices.

kindest regards Adie