Jurassic Flora Exploits!

Ash

Well, i wanted to go the weekend before last, but all the flooding and rain put a damper on that idea.

So made it out Saterday, first time looking for non-verterbrate material. Was an enjoyable few hours spent there.

Fairly well known site from the early Jurassic, that's been recorded for the past 4 or so decades.

Left fairly late in the morning, missed a few turns. The map i was going off was from 1983, turns out the firebreak no longer existed so was looking for the wrong landmark for the turn! Ended up 5km past where i should of been before deciding to turn around. Looking to the other side of the road i saw one landmark was still there - the old high way. About a 50m strip of bitumen just off the road behind some trees with a dead pig there.

Anyways, here are the pictures! There was a few little areas cleaned up that were large rocks with heaps of plant material showing on the surface - I didn't touch these. Just looked through the others spoils and rejects. Still quite pleased with what i kept though! And sorry about quality of photos, only used an iphone today whilst cleaning the dirt off them,

First up, the site itself, 2nd picture shows one of the little outcrops that, when opened, are full or plants (although most rocks had traces of fossils).

8442198771_d43f17b869_z.jpg

8442198669_0b177b94bb_z.jpg

A couple photos of these outcrops that were exposed by others. I didnt try and get any material from these.

8442167895_bd7832037b_z.jpg

8442167791_06bf4f51b8_z.jpg

This tree is clearly has an interest in Paleontology, and has begun to collect them itself:

8442168029_91ff252032.jpg

Finally, some pics of what i kept. Hope these ID's are correct. Going off pictures from a 30 year old black and white booklet and I've no personal experience with these before, so can't guarentee accuracy.

Pretty sure I have another 2-3 species in other rocks I haven't gotten around to checking out yet. Mostly its Otozamites sp. And apologies for forgetting anything for a scale.

Here goes:

Sphenopteris sp.

8443445961_c447a77a2e_z.jpg

8443446259_28eacdc1f5_z.jpg

Sagenopteris nilssonia:

8443446313_d43470f6df_z.jpg

Otozamites feistmanteli:

8443446045_6f1b260a24_z.jpg

Otozamites bangalensis:

8443445903_e13227842f_z.jpg

8443446155_2253a5d294_z.jpg

Edited to fix photo.

Edited by Ash

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Really neat finds! :)

Thank you for posting them - I enjoy seeing plants from other areas.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Those are some neat pieces. I've always liked "golden" colored flora fossilization, it reminds me of autumn.

Those Otozamitesare very interesting!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

eye catching finds worthy of a good home.... thanks for sharing.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Hi Ash,

Great plant fossils! Very colorful and showy preservation! Thanks for posting.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Love the modern plant collecting a fossil plant! Where is this site? I don't necessarily want locality info - maybe just state or country.

...Where is this site?...

Down Under in Oz; pretty cool, no? I'd sure like to collect there :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey guys,

As Auspex said, Sites in SE Queensland, Australia.

Ludwidgia: Not sure what is ment by layer? I'll read up and find out though for you.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Hey guys,

As Auspex said, Sites in SE Queensland, Australia.

Ludwidgia: Not sure what is ment by layer? I'll read up and find out though for you.

You wrote that the site you were looking for is in the lower Jurassic. Is the plant site also in that epoch? And if so, can you narrow it down to the stage and perhaps also the formation and horizon?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Ah, i getcha now. Sorry am fairly new to this. The only info I can find just says that the plant material is "Early Jurassic and occurs in the Marburg Sandstone Formation". Apologies for not being able to give more detail.

It's a fairly small outcrop exposed on the surface., not sure how deep it goes but 20m away there's a railway like cutting and its not there at any level.

Cheers,

Ash

Thanks for the info. Apparently it is still not clear to exactly which stage these Fauna belong, let alone correlating them to a specific horizon. The Marburg Sandstone is presently assumed to have ranged anywhere from the late Triassic up to the Toarcian and even into the lower middle Jurassic, although most authorities lean to a Liassic age for the bulk of the formation. If you get your plants identified, you may at least be able to narrow it down to the time frames they occurred in the stratigraphic record.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Just fantastic.

You already have better fern specimens than me ;)

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Ludwigia - Thanks for for the info back at you! I had a quick attempt at getting more info, but you did much much better.

Paleoworld-101 - Just lucky to have so much so close..