2 Hernias Worth Of Dirt

Culbert5704

I went right after work today and filled 2 feed buckets worth of pinkish dirt for shark teeth hunting. They are soaking in the garage right now and the hunting begins tomorrow. Hoping to find bigger samples than I have been. Not sure what normal size is, when talking sharks teeth. Any ideas?

Hey man if you ever wanna trade for lee creek material for kansas dirt let me know.

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

I went right after work today and filled 2 feed buckets worth of pinkish dirt for shark teeth hunting. They are soaking in the garage right now and the hunting begins tomorrow. Hoping to find bigger samples than I have been. Not sure what normal size is, when talking sharks teeth. Any ideas?

Cant offer any local advice but look forward to seeing the results. Sorry to hear about the hernias! Good luck with those. Regards, Chris

I might have exaggerated a little on the hernia thing. I will do some posting. Got a camera to use instead of my smart phone. After looking at some of the members collections I feel like the best little leaguer at an MLB all star game. I have found over 100 teeth, but nothing that compare to the size of these specimens on the board. Just when I thought I reached a point in my life that size didn't matter. Guess I was wrong.

I've hunted up in Phillips county some. Sounds like you are bulk sampling. If you found teeth in a random sample, I'm guessing you found a pocket of Codell Sandstone at the base of the Fort Hays limestone. I'd love to see some pictures.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

if you got a flat rate box from usps they wont way them.

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

Ramo, that is exactly where I found the samples. Can't tell you what kind of shark. I have also found many, what I assume to be fish teeth.

The Codell Sandstone you have found is probably one of the greatest concentrations of shark teeth in the state. You can go to www.oceansofkansas and click on the "Shark teeth an overview". Scroll down to Codell Sandstone, and there are several pictures of the different kinds of shark and fish teeth found in it.

As far as other landscapes the hills south of Glade are niobrara chalk. My wife and I have hunted those hills, with little luck, but they are like the chalk out west. For some reason, the chalk up there just isn't as good as Gove county for instance. That's why your county isn't very famous for fossils and Gove County is. However, there very well are cretaceous fossils there, just not as abundant.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

So your saying I need to put in some work. Was hoping they would just fall out of the hills. At 34 I am still trying to get some patience. That is what this hobby is supposed to help me with. I will go take some pictures of the landscape this weekend. I really do appreciate all of your input. I will keep puting in the time and will hopefully learn some things.