Carpal Bone Help

megaholic

Another Peace River bone, in perfect condition. Does not resemble the ones in any of the books I have. I keep going back to the camelids, but no match yet.

post-5963-0-38247100-1360192361_thumb.jpgpost-5963-0-56704500-1360192373_thumb.jpg

post-5963-0-05676200-1360192388_thumb.jpgpost-5963-0-45647300-1360192403_thumb.jpgpost-5963-0-08296800-1360192419_thumb.jpg

Am I way off to think it an extremity bone and not an earbone?

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

Boy, those carpals and tarsals can be rough unless you have it in hand. Take a look at a camel unciform - it looks like that to me. The cuboid is too deep for this bone, I think, but it could be a navicular. You'd also have to check the scaphoid. You really need side-by-side comparison, or at least I do.

Rich

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Another Peace River bone, in perfect condition. Does not resemble the ones in any of the books I have. I keep going back to the camelids, but no match yet.

Am I way off to think it an extremity bone and not an earbone?

The bone is a left unciform from a Pleistocene camel.

post-42-0-16049200-1360275253_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

BTW, the proper name for the giant armadillo is Holmesina floridanus.

A set of identified carpals and tarsals would be very useful. I have all the feet from all my comparitive specimens boxed and stored separately - as those are the ones I'm most likely to need in order to make a good ID. Complete humeri are easy; a water-worn unciform, not so much.

Edited by RichW9090

That was weird . . . the third post in this thread has disappeared. It was the post I made in which I confirmed the identity of the bone as camel left unciform and posted the image of the comparison collection I was offering to 'megaholic.' What's going on, 'Auspex'?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I was wondering that too, Harry! Now I see what you both were talking about. Thanks. I can see that my bone appears to be a camel unciform as you show in your photo. Rich was right again. I could not get a good concept of the bones from the black and white poor quality published in the books I have. So glad each time I can get a positive ID on things. Everybody wins!

Thanks!

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

I thought something was missing! I've had this happen once or twice too! I've always thought it was an error on my end but maybe not. Gremlins?

Rich and Harry,

Nice ID by the way! Very impressive by both of you.

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

That was weird . . . the third post in this thread has disappeared. It was the post I made in which I confirmed the identity of the bone as camel left unciform and posted the image of the comparison collection I was offering to 'megaholic.' What's going on, 'Auspex'?

Commerce needs to be restricted to the Sales & Trades forum, or via PM.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!