Maybe A Fossil?

Guest wv1978

Found this in a creek in WV. I was wondering if it could be a plant or maybe its nothing.

post-11031-0-16370400-1360219456_thumb.jpg

post-11031-0-21263100-1360219474_thumb.jpg

post-11031-0-54007200-1360219686_thumb.jpg

Edited by wv1978

I would agree - plant stem or rachis.

Unfortunately, I cannot make out any details in any of your pics - is there any furrowing or lines in the stem?

If so, it could be some form of Calamites.

Neat find - I would keep looking in that area - there's bound to be more. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

In the immediate vicinity of WVU Morgantown Campus there are lots of plant fossils in Pennsylvanian and and possibly Permian rocks. Thought I'd mention this since you had WV in your name and may have gone to school there.

I grew up in Summersville, WV about 2hours south of Morgantown. I found this in a creek in Mt. Nebo about 10 minutes outside of Summersville. I found a lot of Arrowheads as well:)

WV 1978, Lucky you!!, I haven't been able to find any arrowhead in WV. I wonder if you would like to share one of two tips, anyway, congratulations!!

Basically, what to pay attention when looking for arrowheads, what places have higher chance to find them? Did you find them in Nicholas Co.? I don't live there, but I know the area, somehow. I found a nice plant fossil there. Thanks,

Well, i grew up in Mt. Nebo and we had a bunch of caves near our house near Meadow River. I was always told that Indians used those caves and I have found a few arrowheads in those caves but haven't searched that much. My dad let a neighbor go and dig around years ago near the caves and he came out with a five gallon bucket of arrowheads! I plan on going back in the spring and digging again. I will send you some pictures of the ones i have found, really nice pieces:) I mainly look for places near water that Indians would have camped like the caves. I am no expert but we have found a lot near and in those caves so they must have used them for something. Where have you looked for fossils? My parents live in Braxton County now and i would like to find somewhere near Sutton to look, any ideas?

Thanks for your information, it helps. I haven't heard of any place in Braxton County where you can find arrowheads. I heard that Mineral County may be a good place. I live in Mineral County. There are some good marine fossils in this area too. Also, on 19 taking the exit to Birch River, if you follow the road Birch River Rd on the way to Craigsville, I know it is a long way to go to Craigsville, but to give you an idea once you take the exit what direction you have to go., and maybe 3 miles after taking the exit, you can stop by the road and look for plants fossils It is a little difficult because the road curves and it is very closed to the site.

Also, by Summersville Lake, all the grounds around give a chance to find fossils, pay attention you never know. Walking on a trail by the lake, we found a very nice seed. I know that once a year for some months they dry the lake making a good time to look for fossils on the banks.

I found a nice lepidodendron when I went close to the upper level of a hill by a spring in Nicholas Co. I seems that springs are nice spots to look at the rocks. You can find plant fossils.

Yes, please share your pictures. My quest is to find an arrowhead, at least one!!, your tip was good, I never thought of looking in caves. I haven't seen one, but maybe I can start asking around.

Be aware that there are laws prohibiting the removal of anything from a cave; we wouldn't want to see you get into trouble!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I just looked up federal laws about caves.

There are federal laws to protect all federally owned land, caves, and many cave-adapted animals. In caves on state or federal lands, it is illegal to:

• Write or mark on cave walls
  • Break or remove mineral formations
  • Disturb bats or other living organisms
  • Litter or dump spent carbide
  • Tamper with or damage cave gates
  • Remove or disturb historic or prehistoric artifacts or bones
  • Caves are resources that need to be protected and preserved for future generations to enjoy and study.

So, if it is on your own land or you have permission from whoever owns the land you should be fine.

Edited by wv1978

No problem , since you own them! I envy you...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

My guess is a Calymites sp.stem.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks