Tusk Id

megaholic

Can anyone ID a tusk by the outer surface? I have a Mastodon tusk that is totally different from these pieces I found it the Peace River in Fla. I know how to use the Schreger lines, but these are thin outer layers and the lines are not developed on them. Very pretty surface. I wish I had a round section of this.

post-5963-0-70528900-1360253162_thumb.jpg

post-5963-0-90734500-1360253174_thumb.jpg

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

As far as I know, you can ID tusks by the angle if the Schreger lines, but this requires a cross section end view.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

These pieces are not more than 1/4 inch thick. The Schreger lines are not developed on this outer layer. They begin on the next layer in toward the center, which I do not have on these. As I stated I know how to ID that way, but these don't have any to look at. I was not sure if it is also possible to ID from the surface texture alone.

Thanks for the reply.

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

Lamentably, I think the answer is usually 'no.' That said, all is not lost! Providing you have access to a nuclear chemistry lab, there IS a way! By looking at d13C ratios in your ivory you can determine the diet of the animal. Low d13C ratios will indicate a browser (ie a Mastodon or other mammutid) while high ratios indicate a grazer (ie Mammuthus). Simple -- no Schreger lines needed! Of course you'll need ivory samples from fossils that can be confidently assigned to each genus, for purposes of comparison. And, again, a nuclear chemistry lab.

. . .

. . . . . .

On the OTHER hand, you could try contacting Larry Agenbroad at the Hot Springs Mammoth Site. If anyone in the world could differentiate at a glance, it would be him. Private message me and I'll shoot you his email address.

P.S. If you DO have a nuclear chemistry lab, could you let me borrow it?

Thanks MPG, I just recently sold my nuclear chemistry lab, so I will contact you for that!

Never a lender or borrower be...

To my eye the pieces look notably convex, like dentin layers in a tusk. Easy to settle. Can you take a picture of the opposite side of each piece, and maybe of the cross-section? If they're lophs sections we should see more than one type of tooth material in x-section: dentin filling and enamel, maybe some cementum. If its tusk, it'll be 100% homogenus dentin.

Edited by MammothPaleoGuy

Not needed, I am positive they are tusk, just asking about ID from the texture for a possible future find.

MH