Fossil Or Not?

tlatoanitzin

There is a bed of this rock in a mountain, I took off a chunk of it with my hand and carried home, when staying in home I took the rock and separated with my hands in halves very easily, then I observed that it had this kind of biological features or what it seemed to me, in both halves. The first I thought it was some kind of root that was got into the rock, but then I remembered that the chunk was shut. I noted that it had two layers of this material, one different to the other, I ended up destroying one layer, in order to photograph the one with more remarkable features. I would like to know if the biological features are present because the chunk of rock is a fossil or if it is just a mineral.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51986587@N04/sets/72157632716535471/

I think the root mat is modern, grown into the weak plane between the layers.

If I could enlarge the picture for details, I might be able to either retract or confirm my initial impression. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I don't think I see any fossils here, but the net-like pattern is interesting. Which mountain? The local geology will be a big help in deciding if it could be a fossil or not.

Flicker doesn't display large pictures by default, you must click over the picture, click open in new window, click over the picture again, then in the upper right-most corner click more sizes and click over the larger one, and it will display one like this, 0802201311931 it is tedious, I know. I found it in the same place where I had found one brachiopod stone. It is a granitoid mountain with semi arid weather, very close to San Diego, California. In the region grows certain types of shrubs so I don't dismiss the modern root hypothesis.