Rock Wedges, Human Made Or Biological?

tlatoanitzin

They are the imprints left behind by mineral crystals that have since weathered away. Pyrite, calcite and many other minerals can be selectively dissolved or oxidize away, leaving a very interesting defect in the host rock.

I'm sorry, but I don't see any fossil here. This rock looks like a worn pebble of granite. Granite is an intrusive igneous rock, and most have a lot of feldspar minerals in them. Feldspars, when broken, fracture in a way that is almost always a perfect right angle. This produces something that looks like a bunch of miniature steps. If there was a large chunk of feldspar that formed in your rock, a collision with another river boulder could smash it, fracturing to make these "letters".

Another mineral like this is galena. See here.

Edited by PA Fossil Finder

Stephen

I would agree – neither man-made nor organic. Unfortunately that danged infernal slideshow doesn’t readily allow a single pic to be isolated and enlarged, but as far as I can see those are cubic holes and v-shapes from the corners of holes made by cubes. This sort of thing:

post-6208-0-26478400-1360364004_thumb.jpg

[image by Roel Tijskens]

post-6208-0-03572700-1360364018_thumb.jpg

[image by “Wrench” on Treasurenet forum]

Those ones are the result of minerals with a cubic crystal habit being eroded or tumbled out of the rock matrix. The most likely minerals for this would be fluorite, pyrite, magnetite, calcite (plus pseudomorphs), feldspar and – if you were in the right area (in Mexico you probably aren’t) – pseudomorphs after glendonite.

As PA Fossil Finder says, the cobble looks granitic (or at least igneous), so feldspar would be likely.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Very instructional posting for those like me who are still learning about rock business, thanks Scilla, PA Fossil Finder, Painshill and

tlatoanitzin, great!!