Unknown Bone

bassinwill301

Well my friend was digging in his creek behind his house (St. Marys county, Maryland), and found this strange bone about 7inches down in wet sand/gravel on the shore of the stream. He researched it a little bit and thinks it might be a "platygonus" humerus. What animal do you think this is from? And is it fossilized?

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee228/W...01/100_3376.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee228/W...01/100_3374.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee228/W...01/100_3371.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee228/W...01/100_3370.jpg

I cannot help on the ID. As to whether it's a fossil, in various threads throughout this forum, folks have described several tests to use to see if an object is fossilized. Here's what Mark Renz has to say in his book Fossiling in Florida:

"To detect whether a bone is fossilized or not, here are some suggestions:

1. Light a match to it; if it smells like burning human hair, it still contains protein and is modern.

2. Tap it lightly with a screwdriver or other metal object: if it's fossilized, it will probably sound like china.

3. Determine the epoch in which the animal lived.

4. Ascertain the age of the sediments surrounding the fossil."

The first suggestion is the so-called burn test. The second I've seen referred to as the "clink" test. The third method will depend upon the ID (which may depend upon the fourth test). The fourth will require some work on your part.

Have fun.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

im not sure what it is from, but wow if it is a fossil thats definantly a keeper!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Well I just sent my friend the directions over AIM on how to see if it was a Fossil. This was his findings:

first i tapped it, and it had an absorbed sound, not a hard clink

and then i burnt the tip and it kinda smelled like hair, but not very strong

then i took a closer look at the broken end, and i pushed my thumbnail on it, and it was really soft and crumbly

and so i toook the screwdriver and i can scrape material off of that end

So most likely it is not a fossil, but it looks like it could be on its way to fossilization or its just very old.

Well I just sent my friend the directions over AIM on how to see if it was a Fossil. This was his findings:

first i tapped it, and it had an absorbed sound, not a hard clink

and then i burnt the tip and it kinda smelled like hair, but not very strong

then i took a closer look at the broken end, and i pushed my thumbnail on it, and it was really soft and crumbly

and so i toook the screwdriver and i can scrape material off of that end

So most likely it is not a fossil, but it looks like it could be on its way to fossilization or its just very old.

bummer too bad....it still could be pretty old....considering it has had time to stain that color

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Your friend may have found Fluffy's grave :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Your friend may have found Fluffy's grave :P

If you mean a dog, then yes we were just thinking about that lol. How old do you think the bone would be if it got all of this color.

If you mean a dog, then yes we were just thinking about that lol. How old do you think the bone would be if it got all of this color.

30 or 40 years in a mineral and organics rich environment; not out of line for the coloration.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

30 or 40 years in a mineral and organics rich environment; not out of line for the coloration.

This is disappointing. Thanks for your guys help so far.