The Hunt For Big Crabs

micropterus101

First hunt of the year. Stir crazy and out of shape headed out to the lincoln creek formation for fossil crabs in the ussaul haunts. Hit four spots collected 29 concretions most of which contain Pulalius but some possible with the rare lophomastics kellyi. The highlight of the trip besides the wildlife seen was possibly the largest Pulalius Vulgaris i have ever collected. Last year i found a huge claw pictured below which belongs to a very large Pulalius crab. My hope was to one day find the owner or its big brother and i think i may have found both.

post-235-0-14734600-1360700511_thumb.jpg

Walking the edge a large un-named R. in the backwoods of WA State where i found the claw last year I found two very large concretions eight and nine inches among some smaller ones which also will contain some fairly large crabs as they ussaully do from this locality. The crabs from this place typically fill the concretions quite nicely so i know i have some monsters plucked from the river just before being destroyed by the current and gravels. cant wait to go on the prep attack with these whoppers. Fingers crossed they are what i figured would take years to find , the king and queen of the Pulalius Vulgaris fossil crabs rivalling the size of the great new Zealand Tumidocarcinus crabs.

post-235-0-54700600-1360701080_thumb.jpg

post-235-0-36593500-1360701124_thumb.jpg

Wow o wow them's some big concretions. Hope they produce some nice big Pulalius crabbies or a complete crab with some big honking claws. Send me some pics if they come out nice, also be curious if you did come across some nice Lophomastics kellyi.

Way to go on the first great trip of 2013.

Crabfossilsteve

I cannot wait to see what you extract from that concretion!

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

The size of the crab cannot necessarily be determined by the size if the claw

prk,

NIce crab! love the big claw. So true i know, look at the fiddler crab as example too. I have high hopes for this concretion as other crabs i have collected here have all generally been over two inch carapace one was two and three qaurter inch carapace and and one with a three inch carapace they all fill up the concretions that contain them so i am hopeful to have something well over three inch carapace here and possibly four inch carapace. I have collected other localitys with one inch carapace crabs in 20 pound concretions also but this locality is different. Next week if there is some nice weather maybe i will get stated on this crab i prep outside so its tough this time of year. I have a feeling Pulalius lost there claws alot as the is such a variance in claw size.

What a haul! I'm sittin' on the edge of the couch waiting to see what you find in that big 'un!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

GOLD! hahaha just kidding gotta wait for the weather to clear to get started. I will post another thread as prep begins.

:popcorn:

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

GOLD! hahaha just kidding gotta wait for the weather to clear to get started. I will post another thread as prep begins.

Yes u do have gold! HaHaHa that's a good one u got me good with that one! ;) hope the allusive 4" is in them Biguns. Or maybe there's a rare Skylanders hard to find and collectable Hot Head. A deadly skylander of fiery destruction. Lol!!!!

Edited by DLB

Yes u do have gold! HaHaHa that's a good one u got me good with that one! ;) hope the allusive 4" is in them Biguns. Or maybe there's a rare Skylanders hard to find and collectable Hot Head. A deadly skylander of fiery destruction. Lol!!!!

DLB,

LOL clerk at best buy told me they were going for bucks on ebay and people were buying them up so i thought i would give it a try LOL. Rhondas friends are addicted to that game and i have a feeling she will be soon too LOL.

wow that large claw is stunning! cant wait to see what comes out of the new ones, fingers crossed for you! and yours PRK amazing :drool:

Edited by Adie_uk

Bad news, as sure as i was goes to show you can never be 100% when it comes to nature. I didnt get to the big concretion in time :( the rivers gravels sheared off the crab evidently the concretion was originally deeper than i first thought. I drilled a hole down through the concretion with my scribe to no avail.

post-235-0-30949100-1361310902_thumb.jpg

On a good note though i did find a large crab in the second biggest concretion. After some chisel work i went to work with my scribe and exposed a 2.5 inch carapace. Not the monster i am looking for but still a respectable Pulalius. i have alot of work ahead to get down to the four legs on the left and how many legs on the right i do not know yet but at least one so far.

post-235-0-34898100-1361311109_thumb.jpg

post-235-0-45177600-1361311153_thumb.jpg

Also in the last few days i worked out two other crabs from the trip that are ok Pulalius.

post-235-0-10120300-1361311293_thumb.jpg

post-235-0-68368000-1361311323_thumb.jpg

Edited by micropterus101

Crabtastic!

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif