Fossil Diving This Week

PrimitivePast

Burrrr!! Very nice finds. Any idea what the water temperature was? Although I'd not an invertebrate guy, I love that little echinoid also.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

you found some nice teeth. Did you dive from shore or boat? Have you ever run across any tar balls or remnants from the oil spill there?

That is really awesome. I really need to get my scuba license one of these years. I really like the addition of the WWII shell.

Burrrr!! Very nice finds. Any idea what the water temperature was? Although I'd not an invertebrate guy, I love that little echinoid also.

Hi Chris, I am not sure what the water temp was but I would guess in the 60's on the surface and high 50's on the bottom. I also found this huge coin and for a moment I thought that I had scored Spanish gold. I was in 30+ feet of water and in the middle of nowhere. What are the chances of finding a coin miles out in the Gulf?

post-9035-0-16421500-1360791952_thumb.jpg

Did you date the .50 casing based on the headstamp info? That caliber has been in use for a very long time and still is.

you found some nice teeth. Did you dive from shore or boat? Have you ever run across any tar balls or remnants from the oil spill there?

I usually dive from a boat. I have not seen large tar balls but I know that it's in the water. There is a noticeable reduction of water birds.

Did you date the .50 casing based on the headstamp info? That caliber has been in use for a very long time and still is.

Good question and you are right, the 50 cal is still in use. I dated the shell based on the fact that the area of Venice that I was diving was used during WW2 as a gunnery range for training pilots.

Good question and you are right, the 50 cal is still in use. I dated the shell based on the fact that the area of Venice that I was diving was used during WW2 as a gunnery range for training pilots.

Then you're probably right. Nice finds for sure.

Sweet megs.I love diving off Venice but I'll wait for the water to warm a little more.I have been hitting the creeks latley but to tell the truth it's probably not much warmer,just not fully submerged.Do you live up this way,I'm right by Manasota so Venice is right up the street.I do plenty of diving in the summer here but it's a mix of fossiling and spearfishing.

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

The coin looks like a token to me

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Sweet megs.I love diving off Venice but I'll wait for the water to warm a little more.I have been hitting the creeks latley but to tell the truth it's probably not much warmer,just not fully submerged.Do you live up this way,I'm right by Manasota so Venice is right up the street.I do plenty of diving in the summer here but it's a mix of fossiling and spearfishing.

I live in Sarasota and also hunt the creeks. Manasota has some excellent fossil sites. Send me a PM anytime you want to go Meg diving or creek hunting.

Hi,

I don't see very well the sea urchin, but I think it is a recent species. I don't know which one, and it interests me ! Did you find several of this species ? Pay attention with him, because it seems very fragile (breakable).

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

PrimitivePast, I've forgotten to ask you if you would put pics of this sea urchin : on of the top, one of bottom and one of profile please ? I think I have found its name, but I need to be sure.

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

PrimitivePast, I've forgotten to ask you if you would put pics of this sea urchin : on of the top, one of bottom and one of profile please ? I think I have found its name, but I need to be sure.

Coco

Let me know if you need more pictures for ID.

post-9035-0-84198600-1360891108_thumb.jpg

post-9035-0-47541800-1360891119_thumb.jpg

post-9035-0-76740200-1360891127_thumb.jpg

post-9035-0-26721000-1360891134_thumb.jpg

Thanks for pics PrimitivePast. It is ......... what I thought : Moira atropos.

Here is a link : http://www.echinoids...ira-atropos.htm

Do you have several specimens ?

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Thanks for pics PrimitivePast. It is ......... what I thought : Moira atropos.

Here is a link : http://www.echinoids...ira-atropos.htm

Do you have several specimens ?

Coco

Thank you for the echinoid ID. I have many fossil echinoids in my collection for sale, but I do not have many Moira atropos specimens. If you would like this echinoid just pay me for shipping and I will mail it to you.

Hi Chris, I am not sure what the water temp was but I would guess in the 60's on the surface and high 50's on the bottom. I also found this huge coin and for a moment I thought that I had scored Spanish gold. I was in 30+ feet of water and in the middle of nowhere. What are the chances of finding a coin miles out in the Gulf?

Check out the ship on the coin...an old steam ship?? I'm going to see if I can find history on that cruise line. very cool! I like anything old!

I found this maybe about your coin...Love old things!! It does look like a steam ship...

AFTER THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR: Enterprise and Prosperity of the Transatlantic Steamship Companies.; The Great Ferries Across the Ocean.

1865 – CRUISE AND TRANS-ATLANTIC HISTORY: Enterprise and Prosperity of the Transatlantic Steamship Companies.; The Great Ferries Across the Ocean. Extensive Preparations and Extra Accommodations for the Summer Travel following the American Civil War.

Great finds, I also like the shell and the coin, it makes you wonder what other unusual finds are out there waiting for someone to dive down and pick them up!