Quiz -- This Is Not A Giant Vampire Bat

Harry Pristis

Possum

Nope. It's a placental mammal that's not a mustelid. But, you're ignoring the huge clues I've just posted.

The answer will be forthcoming this evening to provide all the vertebrate collectors a bit more time to give answers. You can get this one!

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

OK I give, I have looked in every book and on the internet and I have gave myself a headache. I know I am going to feel real stupid when you say what it is but I throw in the towel. May someone come up with it before it is revealed.

Harry, this is just a mindless stab to try and make more sense of your poetic rambling to lead us in the right direction. Firstly you give us the clue of no wear on these teeth, something i didnt pick up on. you then state What does everyone, even Frenchmen, know about mammalian dentition because it's part of our own personal experience as mammals??!!

If i were to use my brain, i would say possibly your refering to the growth of new teeth during adolesance. Im not sure if we as humans share this with all mammilians in terms of dentition but considering you mention the little wear on the specimin, perhaps these teeth are either newly grown adult teeth, or still juvinile teeth?

As to what it is from? im still lost

• I found this Informative 1

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

A final ditch effort, Tasmanian Devil. It is the only animal I can think which has a set of chompers like that. :P

Dead match for Racoon, Procyon. The last molar threw me for a while as well as the very cat like premolars. I talked it through with a friend and we checked out a modern racoon and the teeth matched almost identical as well as the muscle attachment area on the jaw.

Dead match for Racoon, Procyon. The last molar threw me for a while as well as the very cat like premolars. I talked it through with a friend and we checked out a modern racoon and the teeth matched almost identical as well as the muscle attachment area on the jaw.

Bingo! A golden kudo to 'atropicallondon'! These two jaws are juvenile Raccoon jaws!

post-42-1225746161_thumb.jpg

A special mention should go to 'kauffy' who figured out my clues about the transition from deciduous to permanent teeth in late-juvenile mammals (all mammals which have teeth that I can think of). He was just a step behind 'atropicallondon.'

I've already explained about the break in the edentulous jaw. The jaw with teeth -- those ferocious teeth! -- is a 16 to 20 week old pup which was just producing its adult teeth, thus there is no wear. The jaw bone itself is yet to grow to adult dimensions to match the adult teeth, thus enhancing the ferocious look of the teeth.

post-42-1225750060_thumb.jpg

Procyon lotor jaws are fairly common as fossils in Florida. However, the teeth in those jaws are typically worn. I'm sure there's plenty of grit in their diet, foraging along streams as they often do. These are the only unworn teeth I can remember seeing.

Teeth like these would certainly be an inducement for mother raccoon to wean her young -- as she does between 9 and 16 weeks.

Thanks for participating!

post-42-1225748002_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

What seest thou else

Once again, Harry, you have patiently presented a fine lesson in deductive reasoning. I hope that it is as much fun for you as it is for us! Thank you :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Bingo! A golden kudo to 'atropicallondon'! These two jaws are juvenile Raccoon jaws!

post-42-1225746161_thumb.jpg

A special mention should go to 'kauffy' who figured out my clues about the transition from deciduous to permanent teeth in late-juvenile mammals (all mammals which have teeth that I can think of). He was just a step behind 'atropicallondon.'

I've already explained about the break in the edentulous jaw. The jaw with teeth -- those ferocious teeth! -- is a 16 to 20 week old pup which was just producing its adult teeth, thus there is no wear. The jaw bone itself is yet to grow to adult dimensions to match the adult teeth, thus enhancing the ferocious look of the teeth.

post-42-1225750060_thumb.jpg

Procyon lotor jaws are fairly common as fossils in Florida. However, the teeth in those jaws are typically worn. I'm sure there's plenty of grit in their diet, foraging along streams as they often do. These are the only unworn teeth I can remember seeing.

Teeth like these would certainly be an inducement for mother raccoon to wean her young -- as she does between 9 and 16 weeks.

Thanks for participating!

post-42-1225748002_thumb.jpg

OK i am amazed and stupidfied lol,makes sense. that was a joy DO IT AGAIN . :D

also i have gravel for sale check the trade room or my posts. god hunting.

Aw, snarge. I hadn't looked at the second page of posts, and was just about to say that its a dead ringer for Procyon. That still sorta counts?

Bobby

p.s. Hey Harry, do you know any literature with any good diagrams showing the various names of cusps/basins in carnivoran mammals?

Aw, snarge. I hadn't looked at the second page of posts, and was just about to say that its a dead ringer for Procyon. That still sorta counts?

Bobby

p.s. Hey Harry, do you know any literature with any good diagrams showing the various names of cusps/basins in carnivoran mammals?

Yes, I've seen several such diagrams. The first one that came to hand is this one. This is from a 1958 paper by Stanley Olsen. I have the lower teeth also. No basined talonid in Amphicyonids. Which carnivores are you studying?

post-42-1225864464_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else