Marsupial Tapir (Single Tooth)

Ash

This is all I've ever found of Palorchestes azael. Was digging out a Macropus titan jaw and looked down and saw this and went "Oh, thats a big roo tooth". Pocketed it and went back to focusing on the M.titan. Turns out that tooth was much interesting than the jaw, and was certainly no roo!

2006. The good ol days. Haven't been to the property it was found on in 5 years now, and there has been 2 floods since! Should be good..

Drawing credit to the original creators.

d_100.jpg

8410043795_f41467c3d5.jpg

8410043807_d732583330.jpg

Cheers,

Ash

Edited by Ash

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Cool post as always Ash, I hope that the river is still dropping fast, I have my boots sitting next to the door waiting.

I am fascinated by this, having never even heard of the the critter before now. Well found!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Cool post as always Ash, I hope that the river is still dropping fast, I have my boots sitting next to the door waiting.

Went down there 2 days ago, stuck a stick into the water line. I think theres about 5' to go..Problem is its hit the point where the drop slows down heaps.

Edited by Ash

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Excellent specimen from an extraordinary animal.

Isn't it interesting how convergent evolution creates very similar looking animals on completely different continents in isolation from one another?

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Yea, it is. And tapirs are just adorable so I'm glad we had our version down here!

Went down to the river. Found a 1" long fragment of bone, hoozah. Stuck a stick into the bank to keep track of drop/day. Will check it after work tommorow.

I love this stuff! Can't wait to see what you find after the water level drops. Remember to take photos "in situ"!

I am sure we will, that's if I don't get too excited and just rip it out of the dirt!!!! :drool:

Kidding.

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I found some very nice fossils of what I think is a marsupial tapia and I also have some that I can't I'd!

I would love some info if anyone can help I would appreciate it!

Very new and inexperienced to all this!

Regards Pete