Shell Collecting In The Woods

Froze Toez

I decided to check on one of my streams now that the water level is going down and the weather was warming up. I found a few new additions to our collection.

post-8423-0-33083400-1361106625_thumb.jpg

post-8423-0-50981800-1361106656_thumb.jpg

great finds, looks like a fun place to collect, we have a little longer to wait for the water level in creeks in Buffalo yet :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Looks like Zone 2 Yorktown Formation

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Yes it is the Yorktown Formation. And there are no signs of shark teeth or ray plates. I've only found shells there. I've been wondering why with all that food for bottom feeders there are no ray plates. Maybe one day...

Yes it is the Yorktown Formation. And there are no signs of shark teeth or ray plates. I've only found shells there. I've been wondering why with all that food for bottom feeders there are no ray plates. Maybe one day...

Rock formations are based upon the lithology of the deposit whereas zones, units and members can be named due to fossil content. The Yorktown Formation is split between two fauna zones; a lower Early Pliocene zone and an upper Late Pliocene zone. An extinction event occurred in which once plentiful vertebrates in Zone 1 disappeared and become much less common in Zone 2, hence the lack of shark and whale remains in your Zone 2 stream. The Zone 1 environment was much like that of Northern California and Alaska while Zone 2 was similar to that of today's Carolinas. The prevailing theory is that the rise of the Isthmus of Panama cut off the upwelling of cold but nutrient rich deep water that predominates the Eastern Pacific today and forced warmer southern water northward. The result was fewer fish and therefore fewer large mammals. As megalodon possibly fed on whales it did not survive into Zone 2.

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Nice finds, that Olive Shell is so pretty. Thanks for sharing and get there again! :)

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".