Calvert Cliffs Trip

Optimist

It was a little cooler on Friday but still a great day to walk on the beach. The good news is that it doesn't look like any more big chunks have cliffs have come down since last time but the beach is still buried in sand. You can see glimpses of the gravel in spots but I was there a couple hours before and a couple hours after low tide but there was little deposited on the beach. I did find a couple of ear bones in the stuff up high and couple of epiphyses but the teeth were few and far between compared to normal. But it was a nice relaxing day, just me and the mute swans.

post-10940-0-19696100-1361120187_thumb.jpg post-10940-0-86687000-1361120185_thumb.jpg

Absolutely beautiful teeth! Congrats on your finds. Sounds like a great trip. I'm guessing the Calvert Cliffs are a late Miocene formation, much like Westmoreland which is where I generally get my fossils.

You are correct. It is very similar to Westmoreland. i have collected at Westmoreland and I have always been amazed at the number of good sized hemi's I find there. The Calvert Cliffs is also good spot but the beach is reforming with sand and it is covering most of the good stuff. The big tooth above I found half buried in the surf. But its only about an hour away so I sneak off there whenever the weather gets decent.