Great Weekend Finds

Culbert5704

I found my first sharks tooth on my family's land. It was about five feet up on a 20 foot bluff. I found thousands of shell like clumps. I took pictures of a bunch of land exposures for you to see, however the pictures are to big to upload. Right now I am finishing sorting through my last bucket of dirt from another location and have found 25 sharks teeth. This stuff is getting addictive.

<waiting in happy anticipation> :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I found my first sharks tooth on my family's land. It was about five feet up on a 20 foot bluff. I found thousands of shell like clumps. I took pictures of a bunch of land exposures for you to see, however the pictures are to big to upload. Right now I am finishing sorting through my last bucket of dirt from another location and have found 25 sharks teeth. This stuff is getting addictive.

Culbert, using the Paint application on your computer, open each picture (one at a time) and then select Resize; type in a number like 25 for the Horizontal and Vertical Percentage values (see image below). Then save the file in JPEG format (see image below). Doing these steps should reduce the file size of your images to less a 100 KB or less depending on their original size. You can always resize the images more if needed. Hope this helps.

daryl.

post-2077-0-93582200-1361152994_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-21837800-1361153013_thumb.jpg

?

Nice! There's likely more in the rock. Hopefully you'll have to use plaster to get it out. :)

Context is critical.

Nice finds. The shark teeth (the claw like things are teeth as well), look like they came from the Codell Sandstone. Just below the Fort Hays limestone. Like a lot of the teeth from there, many are missing roots, and other parts. The last item is a fish fin sticking out of Niobrara chalk. You can try digging a little above it if the cliff isn't to risky, and exposing more of it. There is likely a few verts there, and there is the remote possibility of a big section of fish. You will need glue, and plaster to get it out however.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold