Phillips County Kansas Ground Exposures

Culbert5704

Now that i finally can upload pictures, here is some ground exposures that i have access to. Don't know what type they are or if they would be good for hunting. Any comments would be appreciated.

post-8671-0-99782800-1361161978_thumb.jpg

post-8671-0-54072100-1361161980_thumb.jpg

post-8671-0-96509700-1361161985_thumb.jpg

post-8671-0-47211300-1361162001_thumb.jpg

post-8671-0-31673400-1361162021_thumb.jpg

They look very interesting, take a look, not all interesting fossils are large, look for the small as well----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Due to technical problems, I'm just now able to respond to this. (Glad you got your photos posted Culbert)

The upper layers in your area are Niobrara Chalk. Your first photo appears to be chalk. That is your bes bet for finding fish parts, mosasaur parts, etc. It is what is found out in Gove County, and where all the stuff like the fish within a fish come from.

The next layer is the Fort Hays Limestone. It is the chunky, hard limestone in your last picture, and in photos 2 and 5 of your first post. You can google Fort Hays Limestone fossils, and see that there have been very few finds in those layers. That being said, anything you do find there probably has scientific importance.

Just below that layer might be a thin layer of Codell Sandstone. It is your best hope at finding shark teeth, and fish verts. Unfortunately, teeth from this layer tend to have some erosion.

Under that layer is the Blue Hill Shale. Photo 4 of your post. It has a few teeth and fish parts as well.

Good Luck,

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I don't usually bump something to the top, but I thought I'd make a note here, to be sure Culbert got a chance to see this, since I was late to the party to post it. Thought the KC group might enjoy it too, in case they make it out this way.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Thanks for your info. I had 2 more places to go take pictures but we are getting snow right now, up to a foot supposably.