More Disarticulated Fish Parts Carb Marine Shale

ckmerlin

Hi all found in last two days from same spot as last post

some more fish parts some with lovely ornamentation

any ideas of what parts they are ? thanks in advance

last pic is scale cycloid I think , parts probably from ray finned fish

on a sad note my best friend and faithful fossiling buddy Sophie my dog died on friday she will be sadly missed

:(

Chris

post-6560-0-20250400-1361204424_thumb.jpg

post-6560-0-92447500-1361204454_thumb.jpg

post-6560-0-12863100-1361204483_thumb.jpg

post-6560-0-83702100-1361204551_thumb.jpg

post-6560-0-01951300-1361204593_thumb.jpg

post-6560-0-70785700-1361204629_thumb.jpg

post-6560-0-84729400-1361205048_thumb.jpg

Edited by ckmerlin

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

You have been having some great finds lately! I always look but rarely comment as my ability to help ID is obviously nonexistent... I do want to say I am sorry for your loss. We have 2 dogs and they are truly part of the family. Warm thoughts your way... :(

Chris,

So sorry to hear about Sophie. :(

Never an easy thing, that.

Remember the companionship, and good times shared. It gets easier to bear, but it's a slow process.

My condolences on your loss.

As far as the wonderful fossils, it's my experience that the skull parts are usually the most ornamented, along with spines, and infrequently, the heavier bones of the body. This of course differs between types of fish, and the age of the fish. Armored fishes show as much texture and ornamentation on the body parts as the skulls.

I would definitely say scale on pic # 6.

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance than that.

Kind regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You have been having some great finds lately! I always look but rarely comment as my ability to help ID is obviously nonexistent... I do want to say I am sorry for your loss. We have 2 dogs and they are truly part of the family. Warm thoughts your way... :(

Thank you Lissa for your very kind word I really appreciate them :)

Chris,

So sorry to hear about Sophie. :(

Never an easy thing, that.

Remember the companionship, and good times shared. It gets easier to bear, but it's a slow process.

My condolences on your loss.

As far as the wonderful fossils, it's my experience that the skull parts are usually the most ornamented, along with spines, and infrequently, the heavier bones of the body. This of course differs between types of fish, and the age of the fish. Armored fishes show as much texture and ornamentation on the body parts as the skulls.

I would definitely say scale on pic # 6.

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance than that.

Kind regards,

Thanks Tim for your kind words also , the hardest part is getting used to her not being there but Im coping by staying busy

I think that the parts are probably skull elements also but Im by no means sure

I think ill have to have to buy a book on fish anatomy , disarticulated part are very difficult , the site seems to be quite productive

although It would be nice to find some bigger parts so I can take some photos without the use of my USB microscope

best regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

My condolences on the loss of your friend. :( My wife and I have four dogs and they are very much our family. I've had dogs my entire life and losing one is always heartbreaking. Keep busy for now and let time help you heal. Best wishes.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Wow very nice Paleozoic vertebrate material. Nice to see more of this stuff being discovered.

Looks like you have some skeletal fragments and a few teeth from some sharks.

For the scale or concentric ring item, it could possibly be a inarticulate brachiopod. Often found in black inhospitable shales like this one. Although it could likely be a scale.

This material is loaded with parts, I am very jealous!

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets

Hi Chris,

My condolences on the loss of your friend. :( My wife and I have four dogs and they are very much our family. I've had dogs my entire life and losing one is always heartbreaking. Keep busy for now and let time help you heal. Best wishes.

thanks AgrilsHunter for your kind words Im getting there slowly I know shell be with me in spirit at least

Wow very nice Paleozoic vertebrate material. Nice to see more of this stuff being discovered.

Looks like you have some skeletal fragments and a few teeth from some sharks.

For the scale or concentric ring item, it could possibly be a inarticulate brachiopod. Often found in black inhospitable shales like this one. Although it could likely be a scale.

This material is loaded with parts, I am very jealous!

Thanks Squalicorax yes im very pleased with what Ive found up to now and Im sure Ive only touched the tip of the iceberg with this site , the expert Ive been sending photos and specimens too has asked me to keep her up to date with my finds with as much geological data , grid references , etc that I can give her on the area, shes also going to send me some reference material on carboniferous fish and associated faunas :)

Chris... Some awsome specimens there, well done... I'm very sorry to hear about your dog... They reckon the best way to get over one is to get a pup...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Chris... Some awsome specimens there, well done... I'm very sorry to hear about your dog... They reckon the best way to get over one is to get a pup...

Thanks steve this site keeps getting better every time I go :) thanks for your kind words also , Im going to give it a month or so before I get another friend but I will probably go for a pup tho

That's some more great finds you have there they are a great incentive to get stuck into my planned macro fossil hunt

Sorry to hear of the loss of your dog we had to let are parsons terrier go a couple of years ago. But are now in the process of giving a home to a retired grey hound.

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

That's some more great finds you have there they are a great incentive to get stuck into my planned macro fossil hunt

Sorry to hear of the loss of your dog we had to let are parsons terrier go a couple of years ago. But are now in the process of giving a home to a retired grey hound.

Darren.

Thanks for your kind words Darren

Im very happy with this site and I know theres more to come , Hope you get some great finds on your planned fossil hunt :)

Update from contact Professor Jenny Clack

email attached

Hi Much of the material is indeed Coelacanth, including many
of the bones on the semi-articulated specimen. However, on that specimen
are also definitive actinopterygian teeth and scales, so it's a bit of a
mix.

Cheers, Jenny

Professor Jennifer A. Clack ScD FRS
Professor and Curator of Vertebrate Palaeontology
University Museum of Zoology, Cambridge