Cretaceous Algae

BobWill

This was wet when I saw it in the Cretaceous of North Sulphur River and I assumed it would be very slimy and bad-smelling, but curiosity overcame hygiene and sure enough the whole thing was rock-hard. I've seen pictures of similar looking alga posted here and wondered if anyone has a genus or even family name for my notes.

post-4419-0-35558400-1361303812_thumb.jpg post-4419-0-63861400-1361303844_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobWill

Bob---Can see why one would be a little leery about laying hands on it. i have hunted the river for over 25 years when I lived in Texas and off and on when vacationing there and haven't handled anything like it, hope you get an ID----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Can you show other similar examples that lead you to believe this is algae? I would have guessed it's some sort of lava/pumice or else maybe an eroded septarian nodule, but I have been wrong before. Algae has a way of going undetected.

It looks like boxwork to me, but I'll check my calcareous algae book for Cretaceous forms when I get home.

Context is critical.

I forgot about boxwork. Mine looks more like that than what I was looking at. Under "Show us your algae" you posted a weathered Calico Rock on page 2, post 24, but it's not as intricate as this and looks more like the modern algae that appears in warm creeks than mine.

It looks like boxwork to me, but I'll check my calcareous algae book for Cretaceous forms when I get home.

You have a Calcareous Algae book?

I thumbed through the chapter covering Cretaceous forms, but I didn't find anything that resembled the sheets in your piece.

Context is critical.

I have three. :)

- Calcareous Algae and Stromatolites (R. Riding) - http://www.amazon.com/Calcareous-Algae-Stromatolites-R-Riding/dp/0387523731

- Calcareous Algae (John L. Wray) - http://www.amazon.ca/Calcareous-Algae-John-L-Wray/dp/044441536X

- Limestone-Building Algae and Algal Limestones (J. Harlan Johnson) - http://www.amazon.com/Limestone-Building-Algae-Limestones-Harlan-Johnson/dp/091806211X

Context is critical.

I thumbed through the chapter covering Cretaceous forms, but I didn't find anything that resembled the sheets in your piece.

Thanks. Looking at some photos of boxwork has me convinced you're right.