Florida Leg Bone

paleopaleo

Here is one more, last one for the night. It is a leg bone to some sort of small animal. Maybe deer? It is also from Manatee County Pleistocene. It's 5 1/4 inches long, but the one end is broken. Hoping the distinct end on the unbroken side will help ID it. post-11122-0-81581200-1361320358_thumb.jpg

At the angle of the picture, I can't tell if it is a disal tibia of an artiodactyl, as it appears to be, or some other bone lacking an epiphysis.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I can attach some more angles if that would be helpful? I think you are on the right track with the tibia. Could it be from a species of peccary?

A nice clear picture from end-on, and one or two directly from the side would be helpful.

post-11122-0-23598200-1361331820_thumb.jpg

Tried to get you a couple better pics. (hard to see the detail in the head-on shot) My camera doesn't have a proper lens for indoor or macro shots so bare with me. Hope this helps.

post-11122-0-86676900-1361332160_thumb.jpg

Instead of starting a new topic, here are three other things from the same location. From left to right I believe they are: Dugong(manatee) molar, Deer sacrum and a raccoon jaw. The pictures are not to scale since it is a composite picture. I haven't been able to definitively ID these, just speculation. Thanks for all the help. I'll add better pictures tomorrow if you guys need them, I have an 8am class and need all the sleep I can get.

The tooth appears to be a worn, and broken (with the pieces not properly aligned) lower third molar of a deer.

You're correct Rich, compared it to other deer molars in my collection and the root structure matched. Thanks.