Fossilized Egg

RobertR

• New Members

First off I'd like to introduce myself sense im new to the forum. My name's Robert and im from Clarksville, Tennessee (where the fossil was found). I've had what me and a few other people believe to be a fossilized egg for about 10 years. It was found in a creek bed and was originally hole until i busted it (was relatively young, i know it probably wasnt smart). To me, it looks to be an egg but that could just be my imagination at work.

I'd love some insight as to what you guys/girls think this is. Maybe put my mind to rest.

Pics below!

fwlhmb.jpg

20a58vb.png

2wguexd.png

2hs53id.png

First off, welcome to the forum. I'm in no way an expert on eggs, but it looks kinda like a large concretion to me, so probably not an egg, but lets see what others have to say

Edited by PetrolPete

Yeah, welcome, and yeah, no egg. Concretion. The shell is waaaaaay to thick. A fossilized egg would have fossilized eggshell which has the same thickness and texture as egg. It may be different than modern chicken egg, but still egg-like. Does that make sense?

Welcome to the forum. Yes it is a concretion. The rocks in your area are far older than the dinosaurs, somewhere in the range of 300 MY older and more in fact. There is no Cretaceous deposits in the mid state. You will find plenty of Ordovician critters though since we are on an old seabed. The younger rock has been weathered away as the underlying strata has been pushed up.

Yes I live in Tennessee and yes I was fooled many times when I was just starting. :)

• New Members

Ah alright thanks alot for the responses. Yall have definitely helped solve something quite a few people have been wondering about for a while haha.