Wilson Clay Pit

erose

Last Saturday the PSA field trip was to the Brownwood, TX area. I had not been on a club field trip for months and my daughter Emelia came along as well. We intended to hit several sites but ended up spending the whole day at the Wilson Pit. Harpersville Formation, Cisco Group (Upper Pennsylvanian). We met at 8AM in Early and were in the pit by 9. The day started in the 30's but was bright and sunny and by mid afternoon most of us were down to one or two layers at the most. Just a beautiful day! The pit is so big that within 30 minutes the two dozen members were spread far and wide. I heard of several decent Petalodus teeth and numerous crinoid cups being found but have yet to get a full report. Most folks stayed well into the afternoon and when we left at 4, there were still a handful left.

It wasn't my best visit to this site but every visit proves worthwhile for something new or better. Things started well when Emelia announced she had two trilobites. Pygidium are relatively common here so I was not surprised until she showed me the two were on one rock and each included thoracic segments. Alas still no heads form this site, but this showed they could yet be found. Along with a few unusual brachiopods my find of the day was a new-to-me type of shark tooth. I believe it is Polyacrodus sp.

post-1875-0-77004700-1361889191_thumb.jpgpost-1875-0-79970600-1361889158_thumb.jpg

Edited by erose

fun site... if we could only get into a good rain cycle!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

JPC,

This is one of those rare places that is open. It is a bit remote and you have to negotiate a barb wire fence to get in. So far people have always been respectful and i never see trash or graffitti. Hope it stays that way.

haha i'll take the rain, man

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I know the people that own this property and yes it is very nice of them to let everyone hunt out there but as you said always pick up your trash. Sure would be a sham to lose access.

Nice tooth. Are the brachiopods similar to jacksboro?

I have found similarities and differences between Brownwood, Jacksboro, and even Bridgeport.

That is a nice tooth.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Nice tooth. Are the brachiopods similar to jacksboro?

Somewhat. Jacksboro is still probably one of the the richest faunas. For example gastropods are not common at all, and the bivalves are different. For us in Austin it is just a bit closer to get too.

post-11157-0-15836500-1361930824_thumb.jpgpost-11157-0-94348300-1361930884_thumb.jpg

I remember seeing that tooth before you left the site. Very nice. Not to steal your thunder I also found a fragment of Symmorium reniforeme (see above). there are surprises to be found but you have to have patience.

This was my first trip to the site and I hope to make many more. That trip was really a lot of fun.

Excellent find, Erich.

I agree with Tully, the folks that own the place are very nice to allow fossil collecting. I hope it stays that way for many years.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I remember seeing that tooth before you left the site. Very nice. Not to steal your thunder I also found a fragment of Symmorium reniforeme (see above). there are surprises to be found but you have to have patience.
This was my first trip to the site and I hope to make many more. That trip was really a lot of fun.

That Symmorium is the largest one I have ever seen. The root would have been around two inches wide if complete. I have one from a few years back that is maybe only half that size.

I know the people that own this property and yes it is very nice of them to let everyone hunt out there but as you said always pick up your trash. Sure would be a sham to lose access.

I am starting my own program: Pick up my own trash plus another bag of trash left by other people. I know that's nothing, but it could help to keep good site access open for long time :)

Of course that's void for Lake Texoma.. too much ammo to carry home :)

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

I am starting my own program: Pick up my own trash plus another bag of trash left by other people. I know that's nothing, but it could help to keep good site access open for long time :)

Of course that's void for Lake Texoma.. too much ammo to carry home :)

Amen to that! People leave their trash in Post Oak Creek, and it drives me nuts. It is just disrespectful. If you drink a gatorade, take your trash with you, don't leave it sitting right where you finished it.

Interesting thing about Lake Texoma....there are actually several gentlemen who walk the lake by the dam every week and pick up trash. One of them told me that he fills a trashbag every week. I'm just amazed at how people just leave their trash sitting around or throw it out as they are driving down the road. Nearly every gas station has trash cans- wait till ya get to them or till ya get home. Ok...off my soap box :).

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Totally agree. Respect our fossil sites or we will surely lose them. I resolve to conform to the policy "Take out a little more than what you brought in".

The teeth are very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."