Missouri Trilobites

Keeper

I was reading an older post about Missouri trilobites and remembered I found one. About 3 years ago I was at a cut by a large lake, looking for fossils. For some reason I started looking in the area of where the top dirt meet the first layer of rock. Why it caught my eye I don't know, but there it was, a trilobite about 1/3 exposed. I was able to get a nice size section out that held the trilobite. Neat thing is the top section came off exposing the entire trilobite and have an excellent impression on the top half. It's only about 1/2" long, I think. I will have to re-find it to post some pictures. Now, the strange part. It's not in rock. It's in a very hard black dirt. It's hard to explain. I've got to find it, I think you will enjoy seeing it.

Interesting! I'd love to see it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I hope you can post photo soon. I would also like to know what the hard black dirt is. Maybe someone can tell us.

I too have seen it in the Miss. age Boone formation in n.w. Arkansas.

I hope you can post photo soon. I would also like to know what the hard black dirt is. Maybe someone can tell us.

I too have seen it in the Miss. age Boone formation in n.w. Arkansas.

I'm lookin. I think it may be in a tub at storage. I'll post it soon as I can find it. If I remember right it was very black and had a texture like very hard packed dirt. It was not a rock or like material.

The fossil may have been weathered loose, and re-deposited.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!