Sunday Drive - New Site

Jurassic Jim

Me,my wife, and our dogs decided to take a drive this past Sunday. It was nearly 60 degrees, sunny, and a great day for fossil hunting. I had done some research and wanted to check out a couple of sites within a couple hours of home. Neither really panned out as there were fossils but nothing worth collecting. Then driving around we did find a new roadcut on a little county road...It is always great to find a new collecting site. The place was terrific, no footprints around, and there were about as dense of fossils covering the ground as I have ever seen. Most were small but some very interesting things, including a huge array of bryozoans. I will try and post some pictures of these later.

Here is a picture of fossils in situ. Zoom in there is so much to see!

Mississippian age.

post-5422-0-28196100-1361931588_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jurassic Jim

Fossil salad for Sunday brunch! Mesmerizing!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice Hash!

That Archimedes screw in the upper left is neat.

Thanks for the report.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I see a blastoid in there... that's cool. And it looks like the grass is growing upside down. Exciting find.

Edited by jpc

I'm curious. At the top, just to the left is a strange looking piece. It is light and dark and looks to be wide then narrow, then wide and narrow again. Kind of like thread spools laid end to end.

I'm curious. At the top, just to the left is a strange looking piece. It is light and dark and looks to be wide then narrow, then wide and narrow again. Kind of like thread spools laid end to end.

It's the Archimedes screw Tim mentioned. Hard to tell in the matrix but it spirals around like a screw.

As BobWill's post states, it is archimedes. There is another one in better light just to the right of the blastoid near the bottom.

The neat thing about the site was the huge variety of bryozoans and a whole lot of good examples of the boomerang shaped lyropora which is in general very rare at the places I collect.

excellent! the spoils of serendipity are what keep me continually blazing a new trail too.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Nice find! It reminds me of a Glen Dean (Miss, Chesterian) site in s.e. Missouri. I found Lyropora there, too,

and Pentremites sulcatus. It's the only place I have found either of them. I hope you find a lot of good fossils

there.