Nautilus With Strange Shape!

Eureka

Dear friends,

Some months ago, I found a Nautilus. It is quite common fossil but what it makes this an interesting finding is the kind of "apophysis" you see on the right side of the specimen.

I know I should not call it apophysis, that might be wrong. Does anyone have any idea what the heck is it? perhaps part of the body chamber which was probably bitten away, or just broken during deposition.

Specimen was found in north Spain. By the stratigraphical some fossils found in the area, Lower Campanian was recognized and the Upper Campanian was divided in 3 assemblages,which have been compared and correlated with the standard ammonite sequence (Kennedy, 1986_Hancock,1991).

Length of Nautilus: 15 cms approx.

Lenght of sideburn: 4 cms approx.

Thanks!!

post-920-1225827809_thumb.jpg

post-920-1225827839_thumb.jpg

Get that sweet thing prepped out a little and see what the matrix might be hiding :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm not really sure of the anatomical nomenclature for that aspect of nautiloids, but I've seen similar features on the Eutrephoceras nautiloids I find in the Maastrichtian and Campanian of Texas.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I see that the kind of apophysis is particularly rigid, so, at first sight , it does not seem a broken part of the Nautilus.

Regarding to the chance of been done by crabs or fishes, junt no idea!

Anyone has ever found something similar?

I have seen similar "break" structures where the shell wall and the septum join on the surfaces of nautiloids, especially on steinkerns of Cymatoceras and Paracymatoceras from the Albian of texas. I have always attributed them to cracking and collapsing of the shell wall due to the overburden weight prior to lithification of the shell and the surrounding mud. The septum structure is stronger than the shell wall and can stand more pressure than the shell. Hence, the shell itself would tend to be more susceptible to cracking. This is my thought process, anyway.

That is a beautiful specimen and apparently it has preserved most if not all of the apertural flare. Please post a picture of the nautiloid once you have prepped it out. I have always had a weakness for nautiloids although they don't have the beautiful complex suture structures and shell ornamentation of ammonites. To me, simplicity is beauty!

Regards,

Mike

Dear Mike,

First of all, I must thank you great contribution to the fossil doubt. From my point of view, your answer sounds good.

Thanks again,

Eureka

:D

I have seen similar "break" structures where the shell wall and the septum join on the surfaces of nautiloids, especially on steinkerns of Cymatoceras and Paracymatoceras from the Albian of texas. I have always attributed them to cracking and...To me, simplicity is beauty!

Ditto that! Very elegant fossil. :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for your kind words. It is great to have people who shares the same passion...and believe, this website is like heaven to me.

Gorgeous!!!! you type up something, and answers come so fast that is unbelievable.

This webite is so alive, that smells to heaven !!!

Eureka

Dear mommabetts...you are fast as a rocket.

I thanks your welcome, and I wanna share my tiny paleontology´s knowlodge with all of you.

Eureka!

Hola, y bienvenido! :D I`ve never seen that type of nautiloid in Spain on the cretaceous.Where did you hunted it? Burgos,Cantabria,Basque Country...? I will look in all my books for any reference.

I`ll be in touch ;)

Hi, Moropus

Thanks indeed for your welcomed. This specimen was collected by me some time ago in Basque Country deposit. A first sight, I thought it was a kind of Nautiloid with an apophysis, but as you guess, due to some answers I got from other users...........no way.

Cheers!!!

:D