Some Of The Woods From South Texas

jpbowden

Here are a few things I have left from my wood collection. When we moved to Killeen from Corpus the big stuff was left behind and I was never able to go back and get it.

This is what the locals call a Cycad Bloom

post-749-1225844991_thumb.jpg post-749-1225845020_thumb.jpg post-749-1225845064_thumb.jpg post-749-1225845087_thumb.jpg

Fern Tree Crown

post-749-1225845225_thumb.jpg post-749-1225845269_thumb.jpg post-749-1225845285_thumb.jpg post-749-1225845305_thumb.jpg

Fern Root

post-749-1225845501_thumb.jpg post-749-1225845526_thumb.jpg

Fern Bud, the part that just comes up from the soil.

post-749-1225845632_thumb.jpg post-749-1225845668_thumb.jpg

Fern Stem Bundle, it comes off the Fern Bud.

post-749-1225845712_thumb.jpg post-749-1225845723_thumb.jpg

Wood Fungus

post-749-1225845885_thumb.jpg post-749-1225845875_thumb.jpg

Dwarf Palm

post-749-1225845942_thumb.jpg post-749-1225845955_thumb.jpg

post-749-1225845966_thumb.jpg post-749-1225845976_thumb.jpg

That's all new to me, JP; thanks for the tour, and for pointing out and explaining the salient details!

These are replaced/agatized? And does the fungus suggest that the wood wasn't buried right away?

Also, where exactly did you leave all those big pieces... :D

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The woods are agate and jasper, and when my neighbors found out we were moving, it moved to their yards.

I had two nice cycads they looked like barrels and were about 200 to 250 pounds each, I have no idea who took them. Those have a nice diamond patterned when cut.

it sounds as if you've a good reason to go back to south Texas hunting for wood again to replace that which you lost. i wandered down there once myself and hoped to find cycad or golden palm. i did find a few interesting pieces of fossil wood, but not that which i sought. the experience was nonetheless notable because it was my son's first big drive after he got his learner's permit, and we added several places to our memories of "one-horse towns".

Roma is built on fossil wood. The ranch I go to is west of town and over 4000 acres, but the best part is that it in a bend in the river. Just one big log jam.

Oh, you really did mean south Texas. I have for some time wanted to go to Los Ebanos and take the last U.S. hand-pulled ferry border crossing over to Mexico. Have you been there? I would love to go agate and fossil hunting in Mexico, but don't know if i will ever feel again that it would be safe to do so. I like saying "buena suerte" to people...

I had a chance to go down into the desert, God I don't know where it seemed like we drove all day. The site was on the Mexican highway 250 or something like that. Anyway, we were to be looking for trilobites and the guide stop at this place and said he wanted to show us something, we looked and and saw nothing but low mounds for as the eye could see. They turned out to be Hadrosaurs, row after row of Hadrosaurs. Odd, but you never here anything said about them ever.

The agate and gem stone is pretty much the same on both sides of the river. I still have a lot of agate left and some good palm wood too. The trilobites were taken from us at the border, but it was the best two week ever, the train rides going south were a rush, talk about going back in time! Oh, ya, I used to live in Mission Texas, yippy yi ki ya!

Roma is built on fossil wood. The ranch I go to is west of town and over 4000 acres, but the best part is that it in a bend in the river. Just one big log jam.

I have been to Roma many times, on the way to Falcon Dam from McAllen (while leading birding tours). There's a gas station there that was our regular pit-stop, since we'd get there just as they opened. That What-a-Burger coffee goes right through you...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Used to look for old bottles when the lake was dry, I have walked through the old town of Falcon more than once, later, I would drop a catfish line into it.

You can never go hungry in the Valley. Next time your down there call and check out the Volcano Rock Shop in Mission, the guy used to have a lot of Ivory, they find it on the river a lot, so much so that if you can find a kid in Sullivan City you can bribe him to find you some.

Mammoth Ivory, when the open the gates on the dam it uncovers it along with everything else bones teeth everything. I have gone down along the river and have come across human bones more that once, and have had to duck for cover more than once. That's why I used to carry a gun anytime I went there. The border patrol is of no use in a lot of the place's and your life is in your own hands. If something happens on the river it stays on the river. I became good friends with Pepe who owns Pepe on the river a monstrous club down in Hidalgo, he put the word out to stop it and I had no prob's after that. Even on the ranch I ran into bandits mean guys for sure. Talk about your old time fossil hunting!

I tell you what, I will see if an arrangement can be made with the Lease Manager and bring a couple of people there over a period time, not in the summer though, you want believe just how hot it gets there. what you find there,just about anything that fell into the Rio Grande.

ammonites, wood, agate, jasper, gems of all types, turquoise, opal, bones, precolumbian, arrow heads, stone knives, spear heads, gold, sliver and sometimes nothing at all. Lots of stone APT's.

Cycad core

post-749-1225846252_thumb.jpg

Hi jpbowden

which geological period your's wood ferns ? Cycadophyta from Jurassic ????

bruno

Hi jpbowden

which geological period your's wood ferns ? Cycadophyta from Jurassic ????

bruno

It's a mixture of things, but on one corner of the ranch are a few hills that appear to be Eocene, they are most likely are the result of the river. But, I have found ammonites on this ranch and there are what use to be small islands like the ones you would see going into Galveston. In some of the resecas there is a layer of fine ash that is full of the stuff shown here.