Strange Rock Woodbine Formation

screweduptexan

Husband found this at Grapevine Lake in Texas in the Woodbine Formation. This is the fossil I took with me to Fossilmania that I couldnt get a consensus on whether it is a fossil or not. Heard from the guys running the DPS booth that Lance is the Woodbine expert. Any ideas y'all? Very interesting.

post-891-1225857153_thumb.jpg

post-891-1225857168_thumb.jpg

post-891-1225857184_thumb.jpg

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

It really doesn't look like a fossil to me. It looks more like an ironstone concretion with high iron content (iron oxide) filling of cracks (dessication cracks?) that developed in the original concretion. Ironstone concretions are common at certain levels in the Woodbine, and there are usually a lot of them scattered on the upper surface of eroding Woodbine-Grayson contact exposures.

I guess that I missed you at Fossilmania. I hope that you enjoyed yourself there. It gave me the opportunity to see people that I don't see but once every year or two, and some that I had not seen in several years. I met a lot of peope that I had never met before as well.

Regards,

Mike

Yep, I had a good time at Fossilmania. I really did enjoy the trip. One guy at the DPS booth said it looked like an iron concretion, but (this is if I remember correctly) the other guy said that upon closer inspection with a hand magnifier it appeared to possibly be a fossil. It is definitely strange and interesting and will go into my rock/fossil collection nonetheless.

Interesting though.

I too, think it is a ironstone concretion, I have several of them. Some of them when broke open will have a "red paint" in them that the Indians would use for paint to decorate themselves and other things with. I have always called them paint pots.

it's a squished spider and there's a tiny crab claw in the lower right part of the picture. they both look quite aggressive.

<signed>

Rorshach

The pattern is vaguely reminiscent of a septarian nodule; my guess is mineral formation.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas

Well.. to me I see a very nice mineral formation. Interesting enough that I would keep it as an example and to add to my interesting mineral collection.

screweduptexan -

i'm sorry i'm confusing. actually, i was just kidding. the thing on the upper left actually appears to be a cap from a soda bottle with two drops of soda in it. in the right-hand picture, the upside-down(?) thing look really looks like lace amber.

sincerely,

your friend tracer

at least you people dont have to live with him :D

That must be..........interesting.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

ok, i'll be serious for a minute. the rounded, tubular areas seem almost to have a touch of translucence and burnished look to them that's more reminiscent of chalcedony or calcite or something other than the run-of-the-mill iron concretions i've seen. it also looks a lot different than the way cracks infill inside of septaria that tracer jr. has cracked (and he's cracked a bunch of them).

i'm not saying it's not infilling of dessication cracks or something, but if you don't care about it too much, you might try polishing off the stuff a bit and see what the material looks like. odd finds that can't be adequately explained bug me almost as much as not being able to understand Steven Hawking's explanation of the universe.

Interesting to live with tracer...hmmm.....

'Bout the rock: I have several septarian concretions/nodules and none look quite like this. Parts of the rock definitely resemble a septarian nodule, but small parts do not. If indeed it is all a septarian nodule, this is one interesting one. I will definitely keep it for my mineral collection.

Yes, the more and more I think about it...even at 3 am (anyone else do that?) the more and more I think it is a concretion of some sort.

S.U.T.--what does that mean?

Yes, the more and more I think about it...even at 3 am (anyone else do that?) the more and more I think it is a concretion of some sort.

screweduptexan

Thats OK screweduptexan, we all have a blonde moment every now and then.

Oh My GOSH!

Mommabetts, guess what...I have a natural streak of blonde hair above my left ear, so we now know where the Blonde Streak comes from!

I've searched one of the parks along Lake Grapevine once. I found an impression of a leaf in mudstone (?). If you click the pic it'll show the animated GIF with the veins highlighted. The leaf is hard to tell from the pic but obvious in person.

The Woodbine is supposed to be a good producer of plant fossils in certain zones.

post-11-1226012960_thumb.png

Oh My GOSH!

Mommabetts, guess what...I have a natural streak of blonde hair above my left ear, so we now know where the Blonde Streak comes from!

I guess that explains alot then, but thats OK we all get like that sometimes.