Phororhacos Fossil

Den70

Colleagues, please tell me how rare occurrences of fossil birds Phororhacos family. And if you know which parts often find of the birds bones. I'm sorry if I ask stupid questions, but I am a nwebie in the subject.

Edited by Den70

I have never heard of anyone finding one of these specimens. I believe they come out of Patagonia.

There is a nice cast at skulls unlimited. I would bet this is as close as you'll get to a real fossil of this family of large flightless birds.

The remains of this genus are extremely rare and fragmentary.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The remains of the entire family are not common. They are most common in South America, of course, and one species is reported on the basis of perhaps 40 specimens from Florida and one specimen from Texas. A relatively new find from Africa, Lavocatavus, is claimed to be a Phorusrhacid, although this is arguable.

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

After looking at the casts of the skulls of these monsters, I am very tempted to buy one. This price was very resonable (around $200, I think)

I must admit that I agree with Den70's appreciation for this genus!