Jurassic Ichthyosaur From The Uk

Welsh Wizard

Hi

This is my first proper post, so here goes.

Me and my brother found an ichthyosaur over the Christmas holidays. We picked up pieces over a number of separate days. The ichthyosaur is from the Lower Lias, Hettangian, and I thought I'd upload some pictures to share. Here are a few of the pieces as found:

post-11234-0-69456700-1362772629_thumb.jpg

post-11234-0-69450800-1362772752_thumb.jpg

post-11234-0-77659000-1362772772_thumb.jpg

post-11234-0-55518000-1362772793_thumb.jpg

post-11234-0-21606500-1362772812_thumb.jpg

post-11234-0-29464400-1362772834_thumb.jpg

And here are these pieces glued back together and ready for prepping:

post-11234-0-22260700-1362772887_thumb.jpg

The glued piece is approximately 18 inches long and the bone has been covered in paraloid to protect. You are looking at a set of ribs, a disarticulated front paddle and some bones from around the eye, plus a couple of the sclerotic plates.

Assuming this has worked, I'll post some other pieces soon.

regards

Nick

• I found this Informative 1

Hi Nick,

That is an excellent find, was this one found at Lavernock? I have a few pieces from that area but nothing as grand as this, very well done! Welcome to the forum by the way.

Regards,

...And here are these pieces glued back together and ready for prepping:

attachicon.gifichthyosaur pieces glued together.jpg ...

Quite a transformation: good eye to spot them!

Icthyosaurs are such iconic fossil beasts; as a child I regarded them with the same reverent awe as T-Rex...and still do, in truth. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That looks like a mosasaur vertebra right in the middle. Is it a paddle bone?

Hi

Thomas. Thanks for the comments. Yes it's part of the same one. The other bits I have are still in a box drying.

Boneman. The bone in the centre is the humerus from the front paddle. The radius, ulna and other paddle digits are scattered to the right and bottom of the piece.

Auspex. It is an iconic fossil. I'm not sure what species this is, but it may become clearer on prepping.

regards

Nick

Nick.... Congratulations.... certainly a great christmas present... Well done.... How much more of you got of this specimen?....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Hello Hick,

That’s a great find well done to the both of you. Was it like all Christmases rolled into one? Have you considered an Ichthyosaurus brevicepsas a possibility they are off the same geological age.

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Hi

Steve, I have part of the skull and the disarticulated rostrum, in another block about 18 inches long. I'll post soon.

Darren, thanks for the suggestion. When I post further photos, you'll see that the rostrums quite long so its probably good old ichthyosaurus communis.

Regards

Nick

Great find!

I have an ichthyosaurus communis in my collection and it is still my best fossil to date I love them!

Hi again

some picture of the skull and rostrum bits:

The first picture is of half of the skull. It's upside down, so you're looking at the inside of the skull. The bones pretty rotten:

post-11234-0-67752600-1362845167_thumb.jpg

Picture 2 is of skull reverse prepped. The opening on the top of the skull cane be seen and the eye socket with some sclerotic plates is showing:

post-11234-0-84904900-1362845286_thumb.jpg

Picture 3 shows the rostrum bits as found:

post-11234-0-43578100-1362845326_thumb.jpg

Picture 4 is the splayed bones of the rostrum bits after a light clean. The end of the jaw is broken off and some teeth can be seen spread around. The teeth are about an inch long:

post-11234-0-98947500-1362845422_thumb.jpg

I'll post some more as things progress

regards

Nick

• I found this Informative 2

Nick....Quite a lot by the looks of things....It should look great when its fully prepped... Look forward to seeing it....

Hi again

here's a picture of how the bits shown above all fit together so far:

post-11234-0-16530600-1363023753_thumb.jpg

regards

Nick

Thanks for the comments

JWCounts - It was found in Late Dec 2012/Early Jan 2013 and I've only just joined the forum so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to enter as fossil of the month? Any help appreciated.

Evgeny - It probably won't be prepped out of the matrix but I'm just pondering what to do. The paddle/ribs will probably prep OK but the skull bones may have to be backed and reverse prepped. In April, I'm going to take it to someone who knows how to do this sort of thing and they'll have a look at it.

regards

Nick

Nick.... Very nice....You have a lot of the creature there by the looks of things it will be interesting to see the final prep.... Fossil of the Month can be entered for the month it is prepped....

That looks like a lot of fun, I'd love to get my hands on that. The skull might be touchy, but the other pieces would be great to prep. Good luck!

Nice find will love to see the final preped specimen.

Mike

I went back to the see if I could find any more of the ichthyosaur today.

Unfortunately, after searching the rockfall for hours I was unable to locate any more bones. They are either still in cliff, lost to sea or drifted away prior to fossilization.

Good news is that i did manage to pick up a few pieces of mudstone that contained the ammonite psiloceras planorbis, which confirms that the ichthyosaur is from the earliest part of the Hettangian.

Nick

• 6 years later...