Aus Plant Trip, 2 Sites 1 Day.

Ash

Well, heres my day, Got up later than intended (stupid alarm clock, although i forgot to set it..) then drove through some country that i love for a couple of hours to the first site.

This is the same site as my last post "Jurassic Flora Exploits", Marburg Sandstone formation - Triassic to Jurassic, but these are Early Jurassic.

First up: the drive there!

8541756586_ee4d3b95a1_z.jpg

Into the area where they are:

8541756680_ca119c2bc2_z.jpg

Some of the many biiiig rocks that are just full of various plants!:

8541756634_39a498425c_z.jpg

Some of the finds:

8541756730_98fa9a5243_z.jpg

And then it was on to the next location, was a scenic drive through some mountains and a rainforest that i want to spend a day or 2 in next time. A massive thanks to Down Under Fossil Hunter for introducing me to this site. I think he said its Triassic.

Apologies for dirty windscreen:

8541756770_87697669c6_z.jpg

At first i didn't recognise the place, realised where we went last time was actually behind this part of the quarry:

8540684207_a0f09bbced_z.jpg

Then after a bit of walking i found the rest of it that was much more familiar, but didnt poke around there as the sound of machinery made me realise people were working.

Heres some pieces i kept to give someone, i know there not the best representations but was the best i found for the day:

8541756822_2e02168031_z.jpg

How alot of the rocks look:

8540684291_1f7635c994_z.jpg

Then I decided to try somewhere we didnt last time. Instead of the gray coloured mudstone I remembered him mentioning some people digging in the lighter stuff:

8540684379_2cebb6154c_z.jpg

So I gave it a shot, success! It yielded different kinds of plants to the other mudstones so i'm guessing this is a different age:

8540684417_bbbb0caa1e_z.jpg

And had a quick look around on the way out and find my first bivalves! Don't know the species though, and its only a little guy. Apparently they get much nicer and bigger than this with good shell preservation. One day. Anyways, heres the little fellow (i think thats the hinge between the 2 shells facing camera):

8540684461_8670d57879_z.jpg

And an unexpectedly modern find whilst breaking apart a large rock that was for the most part buried in the side of a hill, reptile eggs. Wonder what they're from? Was a good place for them to be laid though because it was very warm in there when i split it apart:

8541809828_c9bb3292ca_z.jpg

Cheers guys,
Ash.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

The plants are very well preserved, and the scenery is beautiful. Thanks for posting the trip report!

Regards,

Nice ones.. yes I wouldn't sniff at that one you're planning to give away (tho' I haven't seen the full potential of the site)...

What a day out, it looks like you do better when I am not with you!

The white mudstone is a lot younger and is a Tertiary deposit.

As for the bivalve it is hard to say due to the less than perfect preservation but I would go with 'Unio ipsviciensis' but it may have had its name changed recently (I haven't kept up to date).

Good finds!

I get nervous doing this around new people!

Thanks for that info, i shall write it down.

When can you come again? We should check out that other quarry off of the Cunningham highway.

Edited by Ash

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I get nervous doing this around new people!

Thanks for that info, i shall write it down.

When can you come again? We should check out that other quarry off of the Cunningham highway.

Sounds good to me I have only been there a couple of times but I found some huge Calamites there!

Wow Ash! You found some very nice stuff! :)

Your first set of plants are very colorful.

And that Dicroidium is quite nice - I wouldn't give that away at all.

Congratulations!

I like to see where people hunt - so thanks for a really good trip report.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Love seeing the plants like that. Thanks for sharing.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Too bad neither of us found any insects, but great stuff nonetheless.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Nice plants. I love the trip report with route and site photos.

Context is critical.

Excellent field trip report very inspiring that's the kind of timeline im hopefully going to post back from my Kings dyke fossil hunt great stuff.

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Too bad neither of us found any insects, but great stuff nonetheless.

Ah well! We both got some cool finds =D

I think I'm hooked on these bivalves.. I REALLLY wanna go find more of these ones now.

Fossildude19: I'll have to get you some of there plants also =)