New Ecosystem Found With As Many As 30 New Mammal Species

MarkGelbart

www.marcvanroosmalen.org/newspecies.htm

Mar van Roosmalen has discovered 12 new named species in the Rio Aripuana basin in Brazil including a giant peccary, a dwarf tapir, and a dwarf manatee along with several new monkey species.

He's investigating the possibility of at least 18 more new species including a giant arboreal anteater and a big black cat, larger than jaguar, that hunts in pairs (and killed a 9 year old girl recently).

Apparently, at various times during the Pliocene and Pleistocene, impassable rivers and lakes isolated common ancestral species, resulting in lots of speciation.

It's a living laboratory of evolution.

This is the useful side of cryptozoology; solid research, reproducible results, deducible ecosystem...

Yay!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You had better read a little of his bio before you get too excited about him. I am not saying his work is wrong, but there are issues.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I've read his bio.

Seems like he's being persecuted by the Brazilian government because they're afraid he might make a dollar.

The real forces behind the smear campaign are the agri-business and industrial crooks who don't like the international pressure that might be brought to bear to protect a region they want to exploit.

You can tell that from what you have read? You have a rare ability. I am always suspect of somebody who has been arrested for (and convicted) of embezzelment. He just might be fibbing.

There are also issues with his research.

I don't know if the allegations are true, but it makes me leary.

No swami am I

Brent Ashcraft

Edited by ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

You obviously haven't read what I've read.

The Brazilian government is oppressing scientists.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/28/science/28biop.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The embezzlement charges were trumped up. He used leftover building material from the making of a documentary to build monkey cages for a primate rehabilitation center. Whipty doo.

He works.at Bard College in New York now.

http://www.bard.edu/news/releases/pr/fstory.php?id=1974

Some scientists dispute his new species claims, but that almost always happens.

Edited by MarkGelbart

• 3 weeks later...

I've looked through his website, and nowhere did I find a reference that would lead me to a proper scientific publication in which he has named a new species. Simply making up names and listing them on a website does not constitute "naming a new species". Perhaps I missed the references, but I think this guy is a whack-job.

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Rich-

your post inspired me to actually look at his website. Did you see the list pf publications? There seems to be quite a few near the bottom of the list that are pub's about new species of mammals. I haven't seen these papers, but it seems that these might be the papers is certainly more than just naming them on a web site....

Edited by jpc

jpc, no I didn't find the list of publications - can you link to it?

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".