A Good Day Crabbin'

CH4ShotCaller

Took a day off and went to a couple familiar sites searching for some concretions with a new fossil friend, daa906. Had a good time ripping through material. Found a few, not the most productive day for the history book, but a good day nonetheless.

Planning on another excursion next month, will get DLB and Micropterus101 to join us. daa906 shared a little known site that has material and concretions I've not seen before. Still searching to see if it's part of the Lincoln Creek Formation or something else.

My apologies for the poor pic quality and no site pics.. my favorite digital camera has gone to digital heaven.

post-7395-0-85194800-1362973099_thumb.jpg

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

A small pincer in the matrix, not in a concretion.

post-7395-0-19739500-1362973225_thumb.jpg

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Very strange concretions indeed! I ended up with 4 crabs, every concretion had one. Great trip, and looking forward to the next. Time to give that ARO a whirl.

Excellent! We'll certainly get another one planned soon and bust out the chili 'n dogs. I used the Google map of your site and may have found another site SW of yours and higher in elevation.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I know the new site is not related/associated with the Twin Rivers Formation, but the material and concretions are very similar. Very dark silt with ferrous oxide and smaller concretions with very very brittle matrix. Easy diggin' for the old man. I'm wanting to search the area in the surrounding hills, high elevation may prove interesting.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Cool finds!!

:)

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I agree. We really need to search the hills, some very old trails back there. And it sure sounds like the same formation!

Well it looks like u are doing well. Hope u have some in them concreations. I was waiting for u to go again live seeing them pics

Very strange concretions indeed! I ended up with 4 crabs, every concretion had one. Great trip, and looking forward to the next. Time to give that ARO a whirl.

Hey Guys

I curious to know what species of crabs you found in those weird concretions.

Crabfossilsteve

Well it looks like u are doing well. Hope u have some in them concreations. I was waiting for u to go again live seeing them pics

You bet, would like to hit the 'spot' again in a few weeks. I'll toss you and Micropterus a PM when we're a few days from going heading out.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Hey Guys

I curious to know what species of crabs you found in those weird concretions.

Crabfossilsteve

Will post 'em on this thread. Hope to find crab in one!

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Nice. Any tips on what to look for in the concretions and how to break them open? I find a lot of limestone on my trips but I'm having a hard time breaking them open with a hammer.

Nice. Any tips on what to look for in the concretions and how to break them open? I find a lot of limestone on my trips but I'm having a hard time breaking them open with a hammer.

I'll give credit to Micropterus and DLB. They taught me to orientate the concretion (Micropterus has a web image to display that) then use a half inch (1/2") chisel, slightly above the center line. It usually splits nicely, ask daa909. ;)

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

OK Thanks. I find a lot of cool stuff, but I have a feeling there is more variety inside those concretions. I will keep trying

OK Thanks. I find a lot of cool stuff, but I have a feeling there is more variety inside those concretions. I will keep trying

I bet PRK knows about concretions from your area and what they may contain. :)

(and post pics of what ya find!)

Edited by CH4ShotCaller

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Cracked a few from daa909's site. A very small piece of bone, a very small tooth, a hint of a shrimp claw. The larger concretion from another site with a crab. Not too bad. Will prep on another day.

post-7395-0-86244700-1363283913_thumb.jpg

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I bet PRK knows about concretions from your area and what they may contain. :)

(and post pics of what ya find!)

Thanks I will!

I think I'm going to head out to do some fossil hunting right now.

Hey daa906

So what kind of crabbies did you find in the 4 concretions that you said contained crabs. Just curious if they are something interesting since they came from rather small concretions.

Crabfossilsteve