Ive Been Asked To Help Lead A Fossil Hunt....tips Needed Please.

DE&i

I've been asked to help lead the fossil hunt at Kings dyke nature reserve in a couple of weeks time.I've never done anything like this before , feel quite honoured but also nervous any tips would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

I am not surprised Darren, you are doing rather well in the Oxford Clay and have an array of knowledge of the formation. Make sure you keep everyone safe, and touch up on the common fossil names so if asked to ID something you will most likely be able to ID and expand on it. Best of luck!

Regards,

Just one thing: Don't dive down in front of one of your group and eagerly grab a fossil that they were just about to find - this happened to me once! Bad form..

Darren... Congratulations it will make the day even more enjoyable sharing your passion and knowledge... I hope it all goes well and plenty fossils are found...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

It depends on if the group is experenced. If not

First the mandatory safety speach.

Define the area.

Explain the diffrent fossil bearing layers in the area

Bring extra tools that can assist in the hunt.

Talk up anything they find.

Perhaps bring along a couple of specimens from the area to give the group an idea of what to look for.

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

Well Done, Darren!

I would also try to make a hand out explaining (briefly) what you are saying, as to info on the layers/formation, and also maybe a list of what can be expected to be found, with pics if possible.

People find more when they know what to look for.

It doesn't have to be fancy, just a few sentences on each point, and some pics of typical finds in the area.

Best of luck - I'm sure you will do great!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hard hats if near cliffs, a MUST! Restriction of tools depending on age. Kids don't have the same level of common sense as adults and they mostly have periods of ADD, which have caused some problems in the past. Some kid could swing a rock pick wildly for fun and end up with a gash. First aid kit in a backpack. Cellphone if available.

Beyond that, have fun!

Don't forget to bring extra water because I can almost guarantee someone in your group will.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

I am not surprised Darren, you are doing rather well in the Oxford Clay and have an array of knowledge of the formation. Make sure you keep everyone safe, and touch up on the common fossil names so if asked to ID something you will most likely be able to ID and expand on it. Best of luck!

Regards,

I did something similar last year, knowing the names of the common specimens help.... I can still hear, "hey! what's this"?! "what the heck is this"? and "is this a dinosaur tooth"? :blink:

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

All of the above, plus your well informed enthusiasm.

Remember how cool it is for everyone to be out there finding fossils! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If you prepare a handout you may include a stratigraphic column showing where your formation falls in the group for those that might want to know or could be encouraged to learn from that. Some trip leaders also collect of course but the best ones I've known focus more on helping newer collectors learn techniques suited to the site and only hunt when they're sure everybody is having some success. Try to keep your introductory speech short especially if you meet people at the site, there's nothing more frustrating than listening to someone blather on making bad jokes when you could be collecting, but do offer to answer questions beforehand or you'll find yourself answering the same one over and over. How many collectors do you expect and what material do you find in Oxford Clay?

• I found this Informative 1

Just one thing: Don't dive down in front of one of your group and eagerly grab a fossil that they were just about to find - this happened to me once! Bad form..

been on the wrong end of that one too many times myself (as if there's a "right" end?)

i've run a few trips and have a couple suggestions.

-be very clear about rendezvous place and time,

and what time yall will be leaving without

stragglers.

-state clearly any actions that could jeopardize future trips for everyone....for instance in quarries there is often no digging or climbing of walls allowed

yall have fun!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks to you all some great words of wisdom, everyone has touched on some valid points I feel a lot more positive now. I just knew if I asked the right question my itinerary would start to present itself in front of me as i hold my pen to paper.

Being a quarryman now for the last 18years I’ve learnt a lot on the subject regarding Health and Safety so feel that’s in place. It’s also too great to no anyone wishing to take part has been informed the correct PPE must be worn , and being a trained first aider I’ll be stating that firstly to make the group aware of this if needed (hopefully not).

There was some great ideas there on how to (briefly) explain the geology of the clay we shall be searching through particular as I know exactly where its coming from ( i.e. the layers)when the shovel driver takes it from the quarry to be laid out for us. And to show and tell what are the more common fossils we can expect to find ill also bring my Fossils from the Oxford Clay book just in case we find some of the not so common material.

And finally (please let the weather hold out for us :( ) to have lots of fun.

Kind Regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

Darren...

Just be yourself. No one has mentioned this yet... if someone asks a question you don't know the answer to, don't be afraid to say so. Rather than shower them with a load of snarge, say, "Hmmmm, great question. I don't know but I will try to look it up when I get a chance."

Darren...

Just be yourself. No one has mentioned this yet... if someone asks a question you don't know the answer to, don't be afraid to say so. Rather than shower them with a load of snarge, say, "Hmmmm, great question. I don't know but I will try to look it up when I get a chance."

Thanks jpc

Good call.

Regards.....D&E&i