The Importance Of The Amateur Paleontologist By G. E. Hooks Lll

Rockin' Ric

I was perusing the internet and found this interesting paper. It probably is "old news" and some of you guys may have already read and seen it. Wanted to share it with everyone who might be new to the forum because this is the first I've read it!

paper15_APS_MONO_1_Hooks.pdf

Edited by Rockin' Ric

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

Good article.... An amateur found a Major find in the Silurian... Acanthodii in the Bertie Lagerstatten (2011)...... a Holotype specimen... the individual ask me to transport it to ROM as a donation.... this is a significant find.... I got to unofficially study it for 3 months and was the interim curator of this fabulous fossil... Amateurs do play an important role in paleontology....

Paleontology was invented by non-professionals.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Good article.... An amateur found a Major find in the Silurian... Acanthodii in the Bertie Lagerstatten (2011)...... a Holotype specimen... the individual ask me to transport it to ROM as a donation.... this is a significant find.... I got to unofficially study it for 3 months and was the interim curator of this fabulous fossil... Amateurs do play an important role in paleontology....

I have not heard about the acanthodian. Do you know if a paper has been published? Can you share any pictures of the fossil?

I have not heard about the acanthodian. Do you know if a paper has been published? Can you share any pictures of the fossil?

Dr Carole Burrow and ROM are currently working on the paper... sorry no pic will be release... I manage to image over 5,000 images... I was one of the luck ones to have handled and unofficially studied this fossil in detail.... it is a holotype... one of a kind find. I burned 7 dvd of images = 3 month of work and gave them to the ROM.