Unid. Snake Fossil . . . Help!

Harry Pristis

Anyone here recognize this snake vertebra? . . . Family would do. I am stumped.

This one does not fit Auffenberg's key in his 1963 paper on the fossil snakes of Florida. In the first place, this was a very large snake which doesn't seem to fit into the known Boinae of that paper (or of the state of knowledge in 2001). I suppose this could turn out to be a caudal vertebra of one of the known snakes, say Pseudoepicrates stanolseni . . . anyone know about caudal vertebrae?

The snake vertebra is from a site that is distinctly older (Early Hemingfordian) than Thomas Farm (Middle Hemingfordian), so anything is possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

post-42-0-49743100-1363733865_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I guess you'll have to wait until the definitive study of the snakes from that site is completed and published.

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Well, one never knows when an appropriate expert will join the Forum. Plus, there is always Google.

Only a week ago, just such an expert contacted me about something I posted on the Forum five years ago. He found my image using a Google search. Turns out my fossil may be "a first known."

So, I'm content to wait for a snake expert.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Given the number of non-members visiting the Forum, posting a 'forlorn hope' may well pay off.

If anyone knows a snake expert, please pass this request on!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well, one never knows when an appropriate expert will join the Forum. Plus, there is always Google.

Only a week ago, just such an expert contacted me about something I posted on the Forum five years ago. He found my image using a Google search. Turns out my fossil may be "a first known."

So, I'm content to wait for a snake expert.

you could try Jason Head

http://eas.unl.edu/people/faculty_page.php?lastname=Head&firstname=Jason&type=REG

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

The squamates from that site are already being looked at. Contact me by message and I will be glad to refer you to that person.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".