Wood? Excited... :)

lissa318

Found at the bottom of a huge cut in PA. Found at least 2 pieces, possibly more but would like to start with these...

This is #1:

Side 1

post-8801-0-63376600-1363990467_thumb.jpg

Side 2

post-8801-0-07330900-1363990558_thumb.jpg

This is piece #2:

Side 1

post-8801-0-23165600-1363990846_thumb.jpg

Side 2

post-8801-0-34242500-1363990881_thumb.jpg

The top of this one is more brittle and that top part is flaking a bit...

Edited by lissa318

Was this site under a bridge at all? Those almost look like oxidized pieces of steel that flaked off an old bridge. Barring that then they might be ironstone formations. I just don't see any woody structures but I could be wrong.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

No bridge. Found it here... post-8801-0-40415300-1363992143_thumb.jpg

This area is Pennsylvanian and Permian if that helps! Slightly bummed. Really banked on wood. Definitely not metal... I do appreciate your comment regardless though! :)

The rock is 'Pennsylvanian-y' in appearance. It could be concretionary, but it could be wood. Can you see anything in it that resembles wood grain? I can't quite tell with the photos.

In any case, wood fragments should be fairly common in your area. It's only a matter of time until they turn up in numbers. :)

Context is critical.

Maybe I'll try to get some better pics of smaller areas... Thanks Missourian! Let me see what I can do. :)