Blackcat Mountain Trip

Perfect Castaway

Well I finally got a chance to visit Bob Carroll's famous Blackcat Mountain quarry. It was cold and rainy but we made the best of it.

IMG_6274_zpsf0e92b7f.jpg

Lots of Devonian rocks, and lots of fossils.

IMG_6275_zps34ac699e.jpg

Cold and drizzly, but worth it.

IMG_6282_zps143d7af2.jpg

I couldn't stay very long, but here's most of my haul.

IMG_6284_zps73b5cff8.jpg

Looks like a Kettneraspis.... this will be the first trilobite that I take to my little prep lab.

IMG_6286_zpseef83372.jpg

Another Kettneraspis?

IMG_6287_zps4d963a64.jpg

I think this is a very small, semi-enrolled Kainops.

IMG_6285_zpsaa2547f8.jpg

I found a few of these. Anyone have any idea what this cross section could be of? I'll find out for sure when I take the air scribe to it.

It was great trip. It fulfilled a long-time dream to hunt some Oklahoma trilobites and I left with hours and hours of trilobites to prep. I hope I get another chance to go and spend a little more time there (I had to leave somewhat earlier than I would have liked). I've heard Bob is losing the lease to the quarry so hopefully this is not the first and last time I'll have a chance to hunt there, but if it is I think I made the most of it.

...I found a few of these. Anyone have any idea what this cross section could be of? I'll find out for sure when I take the air scribe to it.

Judging the size and features it looks like it might be Huntoniatonia.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

The cross-section is a transverse fracture that displays a sharp pleural termination characteristic of Huntoniatonia.

post-4301-0-16582900-1364174081_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

That first Kettneraspis looks good already.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

The cross-section is a transverse fracture that displays a sharp pleural termination characteristic of Huntoniatonia.

attachicon.gifcross-section features.jpg

I have a few of these that I kept in the hopes that they were Huntoniatonia. That's good news! Thanks for the help.. can't wait to get these to the prep lab.

That first Kettneraspis looks good already.

Yeah, aside from a few Huntonia pygidia, it was the only thing I found that was just sitting there on top of the rock. It just needs a thin layer of matrix removed with the abrasive blaster and, notwithstanding a few spines missing, it will be a great piece.

Edited by Perfect Castaway

This was a wonderful trip--but all the DPS trips are. Gary and I attended the second half of this adventure as well--the Gore quarry for blastoids and other fossils. I can now say I've hunted fossils in the snow. We didn't get back home until about 8 pm yesterday, but I'll try to post some more pictures of the trip this evening.

This was a wonderful trip--but all the DPS trips are. Gary and I attended the second half of this adventure as well--the Gore quarry for blastoids and other fossils. I can now say I've hunted fossils in the snow. We didn't get back home until about 8 pm yesterday, but I'll try to post some more pictures of the trip this evening.

I wanted to go to the Gore trip too but I couldn't do two days back to back.I hope everyone had a great time, despite the cold... can't believe there was snow in Gore... is that typical of the location, or is it because of this crazy spring we're having?

I wanted to go to the Gore trip too but I couldn't do two days back to back.I hope everyone had a great time, despite the cold... can't believe there was snow in Gore... is that typical of the location, or is it because of this crazy spring we're having?

I assume Gore would get more snow than Abilene. I don't know how typical it is for this time of year. The snow wasn't the problem. The wind cut right through you. I deliberately found a wall in the quarry that was sheltered from the wind, and tha had a talus/scree slope at the bottom composed of shale and glauconite. I'm still a bit unsteady on my feet after surgery, so I did the quarry crawl up and across the slope for about 30 meters, and then back again. I found a couple of nice, small blastoids, quite a few brachiopods, crinoid bits, some interesting bryozoans, and a nice small hash plate. We had a six hour drive home, so we left a little after 11 am.

Glad you guys had fun, and it was great to meet all of you whom I had not met before. Good luck in determining your cross section of the trilobite...maybe you will have a large enough portion of it to display!

While I was "babysitting" everyone, I still managed to pick up quite a few rolled phacops, several kettneraspis, a decent huntoniatonia head, an enrolled huntoniatonia, and a few other neat fossils. Below is one that I found- can you tell what it is and what part? If you are an expert at trilobites, please let those who are not try to figure it out first.

post-4072-0-87703900-1364235267_thumb.jpg

Lyla

Edit: I also was incorrect when I told someone that no crinoid "flowers" were found there- see: http://blackcatmountain.com/echinoderms_299.html

Edited by fossiladdict

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Glad you guys had fun, and it was great to meet all of you whom I had not met before. Good luck in determining your cross section of the trilobite...maybe you will have a large enough portion of it to display!

While I was "babysitting" everyone, I still managed to pick up quite a few rolled phacops, several kettneraspis, a decent huntoniatonia head, an enrolled huntoniatonia, and a few other neat fossils. Below is one that I found- can you tell what it is and what part? If you are an expert at trilobites, please let those who are not try to figure it out first.

attachicon.gifIMG_3430-1.jpg

Lyla

It's an early ancestor of PacMan.

Lyla was a wonderful guide. I can't thank her enough.

One of Gary's finds and his first attempt at prepping a bug. Only about half of the critter was exposed. ID?

post-7463-0-29884400-1364239054_thumb.jpg

So, what's the tale on Bob maybe losing the lease?

I sent you a PM

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

I sent you a PM

Man, I hope not. Such a neat place and a great guy. Would be sad to lose that kind of resource not to mention Bob's livelihood.

Edited by gwestbrook

I took the air blaster to the Kettneraspis but only went over it lightly so far. I'm afraid that the aluminum oxide might be a little too aggressive for the delicate trilobite and I thought I might be losing some detail. I might give it another go with some baking soda. Anyway, it's not a perfect specimen, but I like it.

IMG_6292_zps4b355bcc.jpg

I took the air blaster to the Kettneraspis but only went over it lightly so far. I'm afraid that the aluminum oxide might be a little too aggressive for the delicate trilobite and I thought I might be losing some detail. I might give it another go with some baking soda. Anyway, it's not a perfect specimen, but I like it.

IMG_6292_zps4b355bcc.jpg

Nice.

Beautiful!

Context is critical.

Ok--I'm having fits with my internet, and can't find my new camera, but here's an attempt to show my bugs. Please tell me what I might have. I don't have X-Ray vision like fossiladdict (Lyla). Be brutal.

post-7463-0-72138800-1364252999_thumb.jpg

Is this a head with eyes showing, and the rest of the bug to the left in the matrix?

post-7463-0-49332700-1364253101_thumb.jpg

Partially enrolled, with the rest in the rock?

post-7463-0-97098000-1364253103_thumb.jpg

Largely there if I excavate towards the top?

post-7463-0-49128500-1364253106_thumb.jpg

Slightly different angle on the same bug.

post-7463-0-61082300-1364253157_thumb.jpg

Looks to me like this one could be there as well, but I just had back surgery, have a hard time squatting, and don't know squat.

The attached thumbnails have a few different view and at least two different bugs. Any comments are welcome. Which one should be my practice bug? I don't have air abrasion equipment. Any prep will be done with picks, brushes, maybe a dremel.

post-7463-0-55166300-1364253159_thumb.jpg

post-7463-0-71269700-1364253204_thumb.jpg

post-7463-0-66732200-1364253207_thumb.jpg

post-7463-0-68920600-1364253209_thumb.jpg

post-7463-0-51306800-1364253211_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikecable

Ok--I'm having fits with my internet, and can't find my new camera, but here's an attempt to show my bugs. Please tell me what I might have. I don't have X-Ray vision like fossiladdict (Lyla). Be brutal.

attachicon.gifDSCF4302 - Edited.JPG

Is this a head with eyes showing, and the rest of the bug to the left in the matrix?

attachicon.gifDSCF4304 - Edited.JPG

Partially enrolled, with the rest in the rock?

attachicon.gifDSCF4305 - Edited.JPG

Largely there if I excavate towards the top?

attachicon.gifDSCF4306 - Edited.JPG

Slightly different angle on the same bug.

attachicon.gifDSCF4308 - Edited.JPG

Looks to me like this one could be there as well, but I just had back surgery, have a hard time squatting, and don't know squat.

The attached thumbnails have a few different view and at least two different bugs. Any comments are welcome. Which one should be my practice bug? I don't have air abrasion equipment. Any prep will be done with picks, brushes, maybe a dremel.

The first one looks like a Paciphacops, or maybe a Kainops.

Second one I'd say yes, it is likely enrolled with the rest in the rock.

#3 and #4 Huntoniatonia tail.

Same for #5.

DSCF4317-Edited_zps8bfcc062.jpg

This is an upside-down Kettneraspis... very cool.

I'd practice on the huntonia pygidia, personally. They're cool, but the other stuff has more potential.

This is entirely my very unprofessional opinion.

Agreed and that Kettnerapsis will be very cool if you can turn him upright and clean him from the bottom...the only thing is if you do, how is he going to stay on any matrix? Be very careful in cleaning that one for sure!

All I can say is I'm glad I'm not totally hallucinating. And that would be thanks to you and your field lessons, Lyla. I still can't thank you enough.

I thought the same thing about what you tell me is a Kettnerapsis--very cool and almost impossible to prep. I'll have to think long and hard on that one.

Castaway--I will start on the huntonia pygidia--as good of a way to practice as any. I've actually got a few small plates that are mostly brachs--I'll probably start with them just to learn the matrix and my limited tools.

Thanks y'all.

It would almost be worth it to glue him to another rock and then clean it. Although it will obviously not be on the original matrix, but it would be right side up. Can you see any of the spines exposed on the sides? Here is one upright so you can compare and kind of see what you are facing...of course, it might be cool to see what an upside down trilo looks like too.

post-4072-0-18291300-1364262715_thumb.jpg

It would almost be worth it to glue him to another rock and then clean it. Although it will obviously not be on the original matrix, but it would be right side up. Can you see any of the spines exposed on the sides? Here is one upright so you can compare and kind of see what you are facing...of course, it might be cool to see what an upside down trilo looks like too.

I have a vague memory of a thread where Crinoid Queen flipped one onto a plaster (or something) fake matrix in order to prep from the bottom. Maybe she can help with some tips.