Easter Egg Hunt.

mikeymig

I have been taking my little girl Rebecca fossil collecting with me since she was 4 and to get her collecting I had to sometimes be a little clever and make it fun for her. In the spring I would say "Let’s go Easter egg/fossil collecting". I would give her a bag or basket and we would hit one of my favorite places and surface collect for the day. Now she’s not so little anymore but still looks forward to this annual event. It’s a perfect time to go after the snow melts and before the place gets picked over. This past weekend I brought only 3 bags and a lunch. My girlfriend came with us and she has never been on one of our Easter egg hunts before. My daughter had fun teaching her and a little fun picking on her because she would walk over a ton and sometimes on fossils. We started finding a lot of brachs and corals and our bags got filled up in no time. I found a 5 gallon bucket with a handle in the woods and proceeded to fill that up to. After about 2 hours we had enough and as usual my daughter found a nice, complete deer skull. She gets grossed out over gum on the ground but has no problem picking up and carrying the part of a dead deer around. Here is a photo of some of our best finds of the day. She found the large Spinatrypa and most of the other brachs that day. After all said and done we collected 100+ horn corals and 200-250 brachiopods and our hands were covered in mud Instead of food coloring dye.

Thanks,

Mikey

post-7129-0-26581600-1364317982_thumb.jpg

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

good story mike... Happy Easter to all. (When is it?) I love the part about your little girl having no problem hauling a deer head around but being yucked by gum.

That is awesome. Looks like some nice complete specimens. So nice that the snow is finally disappearing.

That is awesome and sounds like a great time and a great tradition! LOL about your daughter and the deer skull btw! The nice finds are an added bonus... :)

Beats chocolate anyday.... Great idea....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I would probably take this over candy any day.

Stephen

Oh she still wants candy too. I put a couple of her finds in the display case because they were up grades to the specimens we had for that species. She was very proud! :)

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png