Digging The Lincoln Creek Formation

CH4ShotCaller

Wish I could capture the true color.

Talked with Micropterus, mentioned the cordless drill extraction method, sounds good and a bit of super glue should help. 2 concretions are 'sticky' with red garnet crusts on each. They're both the hardest crab I've ever prepped. The psuedomorph explodes and takes the carapace with it. Still, good lookin' crab!

Want to hit that site again in about 3 weeks.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Wish I could capture the true color.

Try sunlight, it should help.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Try sunlight, it should help.

Looks like u found the opal colored ones as they get more mineralized they tend to be drarker in color. Did u find some bone or have u worked out any crab yet? Love to see the final job u did on them! And did u find any hole aturia while u were up there? Edited by DLB

sure you can! fire popped concretions, made while you wait...

Started working on yesterday's material. Had to stop for the moment, can't prep and BBQ at the same time. B)

017.JPG

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Looks like u found the opal colored ones as they get more mineralized they tend to be drarker in color. Did u find some bone or have u worked out any crab yet? Love to see the final job u did on them! And did u find any hole aturia while u were up there?

Yep, bone pics in Fossil ID section under "Bones? Coprolite?" Still workin' on 2 crab concretions, not sure if macrospimus or Triangulam. daa909 found 2 whole Aturia, but had a problem with extraction and they crumbled. Awesome color, never found one of this color, it was like brilliant metallic pink.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

sure you can! fire popped concretions, made while you wait...

LOL! Dan, it crossed my mind for a moment! :D

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Gees C4ShotCaller

There sure looks like two nice big oval crabbie concretions in that main course selection of concretions. Sure look forward to seeing what comes out of them. Those Aturia can come out with some amazing colors. I collected a beautiful irredescent green/yellow one last summer while out with Micropterous. Only about 1/4 inch square inch of the thing was showing at the time. Took a chance and brought the big chunk of matrix back home with me and prepped it out very slowly. I was happy and amazed with how it came out. Good luck on the rest of those guys.

Crabfossisteve

Gees C4ShotCaller

There sure looks like two nice big oval crabbie concretions in that main course selection of concretions. Sure look forward to seeing what comes out of them. Those Aturia can come out with some amazing colors. I collected a beautiful irredescent green/yellow one last summer while out with Micropterous. Only about 1/4 inch square inch of the thing was showing at the time. Took a chance and brought the big chunk of matrix back home with me and prepped it out very slowly. I was happy and amazed with how it came out. Good luck on the rest of those guys.

Crabfossisteve

I haven't found a whole Aturia yet and not any with the color that daa909 found. I'm working the concretions.. it's slow 'cause they're 'sticky' crab, but will post 'em when completed. So far, neither seem to be Pulalius. You did well getting a whole Aturia back home without breaking! The LCF genie was on your side! :D

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Started working on yesterday's material. Had to stop for the moment, can't prep and BBQ at the same time. B)

attachicon.gif017.JPG

Hey Ch Good Haul! The thing you are prepping out here is a rock there are quite a few of these odd shaped black rocks in that exposure in and close to the layer. Below there is the arm of a meaendricampus crab and stuff. the irridescence of the Aturia is caused by more water and oxygen getting to the fossil. If you leave a good brown one outside over the winter it will turn irridescent in the elements. :)

I found a shark tooth on the outside of one on my concretions. Pretty amazing. There is no root and it is very small.

post-2982-0-05028000-1364623423_thumb.jpg

I found a shark tooth on the outside of one on my concretions. Pretty amazing. There is no root and it is very small.

Now that's cool I can officially say don't have or found any of them good stuff!!!!!!! ;)

Dude! I've got lots of shark teeth, but not a single one from the LCF, good find!

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Prepped out a few more that I thought was bone, they're rocks, broken claws and carapaces. 2 have real promise of being bone.

post-7395-0-83626700-1365858509_thumb.jpg

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Here's the cluster I've been working on this month, it must be Adult ADD. I start prepping one, spy another and start another. It's concretion madness.

post-7395-0-90496100-1365858759_thumb.jpg

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Wow!!! I haven't checked out this post since before you started all the prepping!!! You have been busy!!! Congrats on great finds and looks like you got plenty to keep yourself busy on rainy days... lol! ;)

Was going through piles of left over 'debris' from past digs. Broke off a chunk from a large piece that came from the site I found the pyrite crab last December. Found these pyrite crystals in the matrix. I've found more pyrite at the same spot, but no more crab. I'm still looking in that same spot!

post-7395-0-27331000-1365996727_thumb.jpg

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif