Peace River -March 27Th

Shellseeker

I almost did not go -- Supposed to be cold.

It was chilly at 7:45 when I left the boat ramp, but my target location was 4 miles up stream and I push most of the way generating my own warmth.

Gorgeous day - Mid 60s, sun was shining, no wind until 1pm, and the water was warm. I saw deer, raccoon, gator, wild hogs, and a wide variety of birds.

I was digging in a location that traditionally has few shark teeth and numerous mammal fossils. I was surprised by the upper Hemi. The deer antler fragment is the best that I have ever found. A slightly broken Camel/Llama is a heart breaker because the roots are all there.

post-2220-0-76858200-1364435943_thumb.jpg

At first I did not recognize my favorite mammal tooth fragment on the left, but the chewing surface is unmistakable.

post-2220-0-53417100-1364436028_thumb.jpg

Finally, a very nice Deciduous tooth that Harry has told me is Equus, even though I constantly confuse the occusal surface with Camel/Llama. When I find one, I always say "Cam..., no it is horse."

post-2220-0-15559200-1364436273_thumb.jpg

A long trip but great rewards --- SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice finds SS. I really like that piece of antler.

I always enjoy seeing what you've found out there.

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

Hemi-god, Good to hear from you. As you know well, I can dig all day and find nothing but small teeth, and other days things just fall into my lap.

Whenever I get those unusual finds (for me), I just like to share with others. Glad are looking.lad y

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I try to talk myself into finding a sloth tooth almost every day I go. Maybe one day......Nice find!

SS,Enjoyed seeing the latest--yep the antler! Was at Fossilfest over the weekend and all of you continue to amaze with me what's out there. thanks for posting. Regards, Chris

Neat antler. In Peace River I found a basal antler section with a button end (looks like a shed antler, without skull bone attached), and I wonder which type of fossil find is more common; a shed antler or with skull bone attached?

traveltip:

Each living deer will only ever contribute one antler with skull to the fossil record. Each living deer will contribute at least 7 or so shed antler sets, or 14 shed antlers, through its lifetime.

Rich

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

traveltip:

Each living deer will only ever contribute one antler with skull to the fossil record. Each living deer will contribute at least 7 or so shed antler sets, or 14 shed antlers, through its lifetime.

Rich

Irrefutable logic :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

SS,Enjoyed seeing the latest--yep the antler! Was at Fossilfest over the weekend and all of you continue to amaze with me what's out there. thanks for posting. Regards, Chris

Chris, I was at FossilFest on Saturday -- I really like that show especially the displays and vendors. Fantastic stuff year after year.

I try to talk myself into finding a sloth tooth almost every day I go. Maybe one day......Nice find!

Gary, I have been searching the Peace for 5 years and found exactly 1 three years ago. Then in december , I found my 2nd, and five more large fragments since. It must be the blue moons!! Here are the 2 best. SS

post-2220-0-01300500-1364608324_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-03634700-1364608372_thumb.jpg

That antler is really nice.Nice finds,I went diving in the gulf yesterday but it was cold and probably only 4-5 ft of viz.I didn't find anything worthwhile but my friend found a 4 in meg that was about 90%.

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

SS, those are spectacular sloth teeth. It seems they could easily be mistaken for pieces of chert or even pet. wood if you don't really look carefully at the occlusal.