Fossil Collector In Idaho

tony

• New Members

I've been collecting fossils for about three years! The area around Boise was once Tertiary Lake Idaho. Fossil leaves and other flora (spores, pinecones, opalized and petrified wood) are mainly what is available for us to collect. Although, there are plenty of snails and other brachiopods. There is very little private land to collect on so we have public BLM lands. This means you have to have special permits (available only for archaeologists or paleontologists) through a University.

My fossil prep methods are in infancy. So I enjoy most of my collection in situ. I look forward to reading posts, gaining knowledge, and getting to know members of this forum.

Thank you,

Tony

welcome tony

do you ever get to collect around haggerman? i have wanted to and may have a connection to a bunch of private land. what are my chances of finding something there if i give it a try?

if you are ever in utah and want to collect let me know, i will take you all over.

brock

Guest N.AL.hunter

Hello Tony,

Do you have to have those permits to collect inverts and non-animals? I thought that for personal collections you do not need permits for those on BLM land. Only for verts or commercial collecting. However, I've never collected in Idaho (have collected in Wyoming, Utah, South Dakota, Colorado).

• New Members

Brock,

I haven't collected at Hagerman, but would like to! Let me check with a couple of friends that lived near there recently,they may know of some of the better places to try. The monument and surrounding grounds are off limits to collecting.

Thank you for the offer to collect in Utah! I may take you up on it!

Thanks,

Tony

• New Members

N.Al.Hunter

You are correct about the verts, they are by permit only. The inverts. and flora are a reasonable amount per day. Petrified wood is 25 pounds plus one piece per day with a 250 pound limit per year.

Sorry about creating the confusion!

Tony