More Snakewood! College Station Tx

silverphoenix

I got out yesterday for a very pleasant hike at my favorite petrified wood site. I found a LOT of palm wood and two of the mostly nicely silicified pieces of snakewood I have found to date. Perfect preservation of cell structure!!! Now we just need either lots more rain or no rain over the next week so I can find some more...I either need the flooded portions to go dry or for more to be washed out.

Snakewood:
Specimen No. 26

DSCI1905_zps75846d8d.jpg

DSCI1906_zps1b9c26ec.jpg

DSCI1907_zps5f5328f5.jpg

DSCI1908_zpsb0074231.jpg

DSCI1909_zpsdc8df372.jpg

DSCI1915_zpsddf7e1ac.jpg

Specimen No. 27

DSCI1910_zps06ac819d.jpg

DSCI1911_zps58ff1355.jpg

DSCI1913_zps031e1c51.jpg

Palm Wood

DSCI1916_zps56a697b8.jpg

DSCI1917_zpsc7caf0ae.jpg

Edited by silverphoenix

Cool wood pieces!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

• 2 months later...
  • New Members

I live in the CS area and recently started collecting. I have acquired many petrified wood pieces. Many I know to be palm wood and I believe several to be snakewood. I need to get a better quality magnify lens. Two of the pieces of palm wood are really nice and I will post those photos later.

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those are all gorgeous pieces and I love the pattern and preservation on the snake wood. Great finds and I hope you find some more.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Very good looking wood indeed. The detail is great, but it sure would be nice to see it sectioned longitudinally and cross sectioned with a high polish. Of course that would kind of ruin one of your pristine finds.

• 1 month later...

I live in your area (Grassbur Rd Bryan) and the pics help me to identify palm wood but have not seen any snake wood. Although I have 3 milk crates full to go through.

Contact me by email if you are so inclined.

Jay